What's new

Contacts will not store "iPhone" as a mobile phone

george3095

Reaction score
It is futile to identify a mobile phone as an iPhone. Some of my contacts have iPhones; others do not. Thinking that, perhaps there was a good reason Apple had provided "iPhone" specifically for certain mobiles, I began editing any mobile that was, in fact, an iPhone, as an iPhone. This had zero effect. Next time I looked, some had reverted to "mobile." Anybody know why?

It is futile to identify a mobile phone as an iPhone. Some of my contacts have iPhones; others do not. Thinking that, perhaps there was a good reason Apple had provided "iPhone" specifically for certain mobiles, I began editing any mobile that was, in fact, an iPhone, as an iPhone. This had zero effect. Next time I looked, some had reverted to "mobile." Anybody know why?
I can't help you with the answer to your exact question but could you mention in the notes section of the contact info page that certain contacts use an iPhone?

Mine are saved as iPhone for contacts I have designated as such. not sure what the issue could be with your phone. Don't blast me for this, but you are sure you are hitting "DONE" after editing? :)

I have some contacts listed as iPhones and some with iPhones that I never got around to changing from "mobile". Unless I'm missing something dramatic I can't tell any difference whatsoever with calls or messages. If they have iMessage enabled it works regardless of how you have their phone designated.

I can't help you with the answer to your exact question but could you mention in the notes section of the contact info page that certain contacts use an iPhone?
First, I must say I don't understand your question. So let me try to understand. Are you asking about the notes section because you believe that is a reasonable alternative to be able to have a record of which iPhones are, in fact, iPhones? Remember, the only motive I had to ID iPhones as iPhones was because I believed (hoped) that Apple had a legitimate purpose for allowing iPhone owners to, say, communicate uniquely with other iPhone owners but had to make that possible by identifying the universe of one iPhone user's fellow iPhone users. Was there a technical reason for "marking" certain mobiles uniquely? If the answer is NO, then why did Apple bother?

Last edited:
Mine are saved as iPhone for contacts I have designated as such. not sure what the issue could be with your phone. Don't blast me for this, but you are sure you are hitting "DONE" after editing? :)

I have some contacts listed as iPhones and some with iPhones that I never got around to changing from "mobile". Unless I'm missing something dramatic I can't tell any difference whatsoever with calls or messages. If they have iMessage enabled it works regardless of how you have their phone designated.
First, I would never blast someone trying to help me; yours is a legitimate question. I may have "forgotten" a few times at first to hit "DONE," but I'm pretty sure once I caught my mistake, I began, again, with the first contact and then, one-by-one, made sure every iPhone I "knew" was changed, if it was needed. Then on to the next, and the next... My magic question is: did Apple have any kind of reason allowing iPhones to be identified uniquely. To me, it makes no sense if there's not a technical reason.

I have never found there to be a specific reason to designate one as having an iPhone. I looked through my iPhone contacts and have some listed as having and some not. iMessage and FaceTime work regardless as long as it is enabled. Not sure why Apple has this option to be honest.

I did a quick google search and it may be the way you have your contacts synced through e-mail vs. iCloud. I have mine synced only through iCloud and have the iPhone designation and it stays designated.

Maybe the purpose is just so that you have a quick reference as to whether you will be able to use certain Apple-only functions with the other phone, such as Facetime?