What's new

Contacts question with iphone

bodean

Reaction score
I've always used gmail for calendar, email and contacts. I use to setup calendar as exchange, along with contacts, and always set up email as gmail. Recently google introduced cardav which improves contact syncs in iOS 6. Has anyone tries this? I just set my contacts up as this, but found all my gmail contacts are on my phone. I only want contacts found in "my contacts" synced. Any idea how to do this?

I've always used gmail for calendar, email and contacts. I use to setup calendar as exchange, along with contacts, and always set up email as gmail. Recently google introduced cardav which improves contact syncs in iOS 6. Has anyone tries this? I just set my contacts up as this, but found all my gmail contacts are on my phone. I only want contacts found in "my contacts" synced. Any idea how to do this?

I'm somewhat a newbie to the iPhone and somebody may have better methods, but yes this works and I have this setup on my 4S/iOS6.

Here's a setup link from Google:

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2753077

S
ome things I've found helpful.

- When adding a company/business on the phone, place the full name in the Last Name entry, not Company Name. Google doesn't (seemingly) know how to map a company name to Google contacts. Ditto if adding the contact in Google, put it in the Last Name slot. Thus if you list/view your contacts as Last, First name, it makes some sense.

- As a result of the Company name issue, I had to edit a lot of the business names in Google Contacts. It was easier there then on the phone. Possibly my 320 name database was all over the map as it was originally built in a Palm device and then ported to Google. Not sure.

- For whatever reason, the groups I have configured in Google Contacts are not the same as on the phone. Just prior to Google coming out with the CardAV sync, I had ported all my Google contacts to the iCloud, as that was the only method I had found to actually sync the contacts in anyone's cloud. MS Exchange did not work for me. Thus I created a lot of groups on iCloud and that appears to be the only place you can create and add groups on the iPhone/Pad. I have only recently discovered that Google Groups and iPhone Groups are not the same and do not sync. If anyone has a solution, I'm all eyes.

And as BTW, my favorite calender app is Calenders - Google Calender client, made by Readdle. Shows multiple calenders, has better views then stock. It was $7 and worth it.

http://readdle.com/products/calendars/

SB

Last edited: