What's new

Consent for Apple to Receive Frequent Locations Data

Durango

Reaction score
This quote came from an Apple support website:
"Frequent Locations: Your iPhone will keep track of places you have recently been, as well as how often and when you visited them, in order to learn places that are significant to you. This data is kept solely on your device and won't be sent to Apple without your consent. It will be used to provide you with personalized services, such as predictive traffic routing."

My question is - how do you give or withdraw your consent for Apple to receive this data?

Thanks in advance............

Here's information about this from Apple's Support Site:

Frequent Locations remain on your device and are not sent to Apple, or even backed up in iTunes or iCloud. The one exception is if you opt in to improve Maps for yourself and other users, in which case we will occasionally collect your Frequent Locations but only retain this data in a purely anonymous form. Frequent Locations are encrypted with keys protected by your passcode on your device, and you always have the option to turn this feature off. And you’ll notice that your iOS device asks for your permission before giving any app, even built-in Apple apps, access to your location information.

Here's information about this from Apple's Support Site:

Frequent Locations remain on your device and are not sent to Apple, or even backed up in iTunes or iCloud. The one exception is if you opt in to improve Maps for yourself and other users, in which case we will occasionally collect your Frequent Locations but only retain this data in a purely anonymous form. Frequent Locations are encrypted with keys protected by your passcode on your device, and you always have the option to turn this feature off. And you’ll notice that your iOS device asks for your permission before giving any app, even built-in Apple apps, access to your location information.

Thanks for your response.

In the paragraph I quoted, the following statement was made:
"This data is kept solely on your device and won't be sent to Apple without your consent."

So my question is - how do I give this consent and/or withdraw this consent? Are you saying that the only way I give consent is to opt to improve Maps? I don't want to disable Frequent Locations.....I would just like to control who gets the data and when.

When an iOS device asks for access to my location information, I had always assumed that it was asking for my current location, and maybe from that point onward while I was using the app. I didn't think they were asking for where I had been the past 6 weeks. Was I wrong?

As I understand this, Frequent Locations is not available for other apps, just for Apple.

As I understand this, Frequent Locations is not available for other apps, just for Apple.
OK, but my original question still stands. How do I give or retract consent for this data to be sent to Apple? And no, I don't want to disable Frequent Locations as a means of keeping this data from Apple. Thanks..........

Settings>Privacy>location>System Services>frequent Locations. toggle that on or off depending on what you choose to do.

Settings>Privacy>location>System Services>frequent Locations. toggle that on or off depending on what you choose to do.
What I choose to do is to leave Frequent Locations turned on, but keep this data from being sent to Apple. I finally found what I think is the answer, which is:
Settings>Privacy>Diagnostics& Usage>Don't Send
There it states that Diagnostic Data may include location data.

And that is an additional setting that became included in the iphone years before the iphone had acquired the Frequent Locations function and is giving locations for Maps and Cell Towers and other location info. FYI. Glad you found the setting you want.