What's new

Component AV cable output hi-def videos?

tomrichusa

Reaction score
Has anyone used the apple component AV cable to output their videos to their TV in hi-def? just wondering if it does show up on a hi-def TV at 720p. Thanks.

I don't think component cables can produce HD signals.

Yeah it has to be hdmi or it's not going to be hidef as far as I know.

so what do u folks use to watch your hi-def videos on your TV?

Component cables can support 720p HD.Composite cables can't.

Component can actually handle video up to 1080i. Audio is separate. The hdmi format is an uncompressed hd transmission cable with "embedded" audio. The iPhone doesn't support hmdi as the pin out on the dock connector has video and audio separated and I am guessing not in the proper audio compressor for hdmi standards. Keep in mind the audio in the iPhone (and your iPod) is completely analog audio. Hdmi would have digital audio.

In short. With component cables you can achieve up to 1080i with analog stereo audio. Formats covered would be 480i, 480p, 720p (various frame rates) and 1080i (again with various frame rates)

From the iPhone spec. page:

"Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately)"

Unfortunately no HD. This is a bummer, since the phone records 720p video. I wish they had a display port to HDMI adapter already.

From the iPhone spec. page:

"Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately)"

Unfortunately no HD. This is a bummer, since the phone records 720p video. I wish they had a display port to HDMI adapter already.

I'm really hoping for a refresh of the 30pin next year. Also a magnet charging cord like the MacBook ;) please apple....?