What's new

Video conversion questions

sparkatb

Reaction score
I use AVS software for converting which seems to do a decent job.

Ive noticed in the settings, the type of output file; Apple iPhone/iTouch/iPod - H-264, 640x480.

Ive tried manually changing the screen res size to 960x640 but then itunes wont allow the video to transfer to the iPhone 4 because the phone doesnt support it. I thought 960x640 was the phones max size?

Is there some sort of driver i can download for my AVS so i can have more iPhone/iPod screen res size options in the drop down menu?

Does anyone know if theres any conversion program better than AVS?

Handbrake and Aneesoft are free. I used them all fine.

I use Bigasoft Total Video Converter, it enables me convert between various video format including mp4, wmv, avi, mov, mkv, flv, asf, mpg and more.

with it i can convert all kinds of videos to mp4 to playback on my iphone

i also can set resolution to 480*320, 640*480, 720*480, 1280*720 and more or even can reset to other resolution

i also extract audio from video to save as music with it.

but it is shareware with free trial version

for i think it is very powerful and nice, so i have bought its full version, i think it is worthy to do that.

you can find its windows version at Total converter for video conversion - Bigasoft Total Video Converter

mac version at Total Video Converter for Mac - Convert and enjoy any video on Mac

i hope it helps more or less

I use AVS software for converting which seems to do a decent job.

Ive noticed in the settings, the type of output file; Apple iPhone/iTouch/iPod - H-264, 640x480.

Ive tried manually changing the screen res size to 960x640 but then itunes wont allow the video to transfer to the iPhone 4 because the phone doesnt support it. I thought 960x640 was the phones max size?

Is there some sort of driver i can download for my AVS so i can have more iPhone/iPod screen res size options in the drop down menu?

Does anyone know if theres any conversion program better than AVS?

You better make sure your converter also supports orientation data by looking at the EXIF metadata. Most of them do not, yet, though Apple and Adobe do, as well as all the major camera makers also do.
Here are links to four short MOV files showing the four orientations for the iPhone 4S. I had to upload them to DropBox for you as all of my available Cloud based mail programs choked on saving or sending these little video files.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7584570/IMG_0061.MOV
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7584570/IMG_0062.MOV
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7584570/IMG_0063.MOV
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7584570/IMG_0064.MOV
I usually record hockey games in Landscape mode with the Home Button of the iPhone on the left side with the screen facing me. That is the mov file IMG_0063.MOV
Apple's QuickTime Player displays it correctly, while the VLC player, which ignores exif flags plays it upside down. So does the Plex Media streamer ignore the flag, so does the thunderbird mail app ignore the flag, and so on. Adobe looks at the exif flags so they get it right.
My movies are of four Post It Notes, each one describing the location of the Home Button. Take a series of four pictures oriented like my test MOV files , then take 4 short MOV files of the same iPhone orientation. If the results are "misoriented" then the software you are using to look at them is ignoring the orientation flages.
For more detail of this subject look at* ImpulseAdventure - JPEG / Exif Orientation and Rotation
JPEG Rotation and EXIF Orientation
Digital Cameras with orientation sensors allow auto-rotation of portrait images. Unfortunately, support for this feature is not widespread or consistently applied.
Digital Cameras with Orientation Sensors
Many newer digital cameras (both dSLR and Point & Shoot digicams) have a built-in orientation sensor. Virtually all Canon and Nikon digital cameras have an orientation sensor. The output of this sensor is used to set the EXIF orientation flag in the image file's metatdata to reflect the positioning of the camera with respect to the ground. Canon calls their sensor the "Intelligent Orientation" sensor. It is presumably a 2-axis tilt sensor, allowing 4 possible orientations to be detected (shown in the left side of the diagram in the link above).

or you can get OPlayer: App Store - OPlayer No conversions needed just drag your video/audio file straight into your phone. Been using it for quite a while now and the prog. is brilliant.