What's new

Complete Newbie To Apple Period

rajah

Reaction score
Well i am completely new to apple, iphone, anything apple period. I have nothing in my house and have never used anything apple before. I have alot of questions and i hope i dont get flammed as is very common in forums.
1.Can i have my gmail and google talk on the iphone?
2.what about all of my mp3 i have on my computer? Not imusic.
3.do i have to have a mac computer to plug the iphone into?
4.i am coming from droid 1 rooted and overclocked. is this the same as jailbreaking?
5.is it possible to over clock the iphone4?

See complete newbie to apple period. I have never owned or used anything apple at all. Nervous about this phone. I ordered it online it will arrive tuesday next week. Also if i dont like it can i trade it for a droid X?

1. You can get gmail. I'm not sure about talk but there is a google app in the app store which does quite alot.

2. You can put any mp3's on your phone. Put them in your iTunes libary then plug you phone in and sync it.

3. No. You need iTunes. It's availible on PC and mac.

4. I don't know exactly what rooting is but from what I've heard jailbreaking is abit more than rooting. iPhones don't have any carrierware on them anyway.

5. I think there is an overclock app in cydia (the jailbreak app store) but you won't need it.

Depending where you got your phone from there is differing return policy. I think verzion has the least (14 days) for you to make your mind up. Lousy there is usually a restocking fee. You won't need to worry about returning it though... ;)

1. You can get gmail. I'm not sure about talk but there is a google app in the app store which does quite alot.

2. You can put any mp3's on your phone. Put them in your iTunes libary then plug you phone in and sync it.

3. No. You need iTunes. It's availible on PC and mac.

4. I don't know exactly what rooting is but from what I've heard jailbreaking is abit more than rooting. iPhones don't have any carrierware on them anyway.

5. I think there is an overclock app in cydia (the jailbreak app store) but you won't need it.

Depending where you got your phone from there is differing return policy. I think verzion has the least (14 days) for you to make your mind up. Lousy there is usually a restocking fee. You won't need to worry about returning it though... ;)

Rooting and Jailbreaking is close to the same thing, but not quite the same....in rooting on a droid you can change the whole Rom to make the OS look completely different and also change themes, jailbreaking is a little safeer acctually than rooting....because if you jailbreak your phone and something should happen you just plug your phone in to itunes and restore from backup....on a droid you need to restore the whole phone, but if you have done it enough times you get used to that also.

Rooting by itself only gives you access to make changes to the system that were not allowed from the factory, it does not install any other app or change the appearance of your phone. After rooting, you then have the ability to install custom ROM's, which change the look, feel, and the underlying code if they so choose to in order to optimize the phone a certain way. You can also install custom kernels (on certain rooted phones) that allow you to overclock, underclock, add support for wireless tethering, etc.

Thank you for the welcome!!!! i am waiting rather impatiently for my iphone 32 gig to show. I had a moto droid 1 rooted and overclocked to 1.2 gig. So the apple is gonna have to screem to keep up with it. I have put tons of different roms and kernels into my droid. Heck i could make it a different phone as often as i liked. So thats why i am a little nervous. Also restoring the droid is easy. Insted of back ups on a website i had them right on my sd card. Very easy to do...just reboot to recovery and flash it back. Plain and simple.

I've rooted my droid Eris ,droid 1 and it makes a nice difference with customization purpose and speed tweaks. But my stock iPhone 4 still destroys it with the smoothness and speed IMO .

Thank you for the welcome!!!! i am waiting rather impatiently for my iphone 32 gig to show. I had a moto droid 1 rooted and overclocked to 1.2 gig. So the apple is gonna have to screem to keep up with it. I have put tons of different roms and kernels into my droid. Heck i could make it a different phone as often as i liked. So thats why i am a little nervous. Also restoring the droid is easy. Insted of back ups on a website i had them right on my sd card. Very easy to do...just reboot to recovery and flash it back. Plain and simple.
Not really, the stock iPhone 4 still blows an overclocked and rooted Droid 1 in terms of speed and smoothness.

Backing up the Droid is super simple, that is one of the pros of it.

i hope that is true. i am currently running gingerbread on my droid and it is way smooth and awesome. I just hate the fact that palringo sucks on the droid and the droid doesnt support emoji or unicode.

I had rooted droid one witch completely blows compared to iPhone. Droids completely blow. iPhone has better battery then any droid. U don't need stupid apps like task killer or setcpu or cache cleaner this iPhone is awesome I got netflix iPod with over 1200 songs. I listen to pandora and iPod all day I cruise craigs list and face book while multitasking my text all day literally. I haven't seen 20 percent on my phone in literally forever. U should look into jailbreak it's easy to fix all u gotta do is plug it into iTunes and press restore wait 5 mins and it's factory reset then u press sync and ur back to normal. P.s.

i think you are taking it to an extreme. i have my iphone now. I have had it activated and been playing with it for roughly 10 hours. First itunes is a pain in the as$. Its is horrible transfering music to this stupid thing and syncing all the time. Next the speaker really sucks...and only one seems to work! The ringer isnt very loud. Which brings to light another grudge you cant use your mp3s for ringtones!!!! Talk about a crock! I had to download a ringtone maker and make my ringtones. then save them on my pc...then transfer and sync to the phone. Are you kidding me? now i think i know why i like my droids...way more user friendly. I used all my mp3s for ringtones. I didnt have to do any sync crap to my computer to transfer anything really other then drag and drop. much faster on the droid by the way. I do have one wonderful thing to say about the iphone...its operating system seems snappier then my stock droid was. Its about the same as my rooted oced droid though. Gingerbread was so frickin smooth and fast...and the animations were wondeful. I am not giving up on this phone yet!!! it has potential for sure...its quick and if it can be over clocked it really may have potential. Another bonus to the iphone...it seems like it has way better reception at my house then the droid did...dunno could be my imagination. Storm 8 games are way faster on the iphone and emoji works!!! some good key points for me. The screen is way better then the droid one graphics wise also.

So i guess the main troubles i have with it is the sync process, lack of customization, ringtone garbage, and i think thats about it.hmmmm

i think you are taking it to an extreme. i have my iphone now. I have had it activated and been playing with it for roughly 10 hours. First itunes is a pain in the as$. Its is horrible transfering music to this stupid thing and syncing all the time. Next the speaker really sucks...and only one seems to work! The ringer isnt very loud. Which brings to light another grudge you cant use your mp3s for ringtones!!!! Talk about a crock! I had to download a ringtone maker and make my ringtones. then save them on my pc...then transfer and sync to the phone. Are you kidding me? now i think i know why i like my droids...way more user friendly. I used all my mp3s for ringtones. I didnt have to do any sync crap to my computer to transfer anything really other then drag and drop. much faster on the droid by the way. I do have one wonderful thing to say about the iphone...its operating system seems snappier then my stock droid was. Its about the same as my rooted oced droid though. Gingerbread was so frickin smooth and fast...and the animations were wondeful. I am not giving up on this phone yet!!! it has potential for sure...its quick and if it can be over clocked it really may have potential. Another bonus to the iphone...it seems like it has way better reception at my house then the droid did...dunno could be my imagination. Storm 8 games are way faster on the iphone and emoji works!!! some good key points for me. The screen is way better then the droid one graphics wise also.

So i guess the main troubles i have with it is the sync process, lack of customization, ringtone garbage, and i think thats about it.hmmmm

There is only one speaker. The other one is a microphone. My ringer is very loud. If your using your own ringtones it's probably down to them being quiet. Try them against the stock ringtones and see if there's a difference.

As for iTunes, for the most part it is a pain but once you get used to it it's quite simple. Syncing is really handy for backing up all your data. For customisations you really need to jailbreak...

I actually jailbroke my iPhone and I downloaded an app from cydia called any ringer I can use any song on my iPod on any ringer up to a minuet I think. Way better then my droid. And it's easy..no iTunes no sync. :) I can also face chat on 3G where ever I want. And u can download speed intensifier it makes ur phone faster. I don't think it over clocks it. Just speed up animation. O and If u don't like jailbroken u can plug it into iTunes And restore it within ten Mins ur golden. And u do realize Ginger bread is a still broken rom considering it wasn't made for original droid.
How is that better then the Droid? With the Droid all you have to do is long press on a song you like and select "use as ringtone". Again, how is it better to have to sync with iTunes in order to sync your data? The Droid syncs wirelessly over the data network without any interaction from you.

I will give you the ease of jailbreaking, since it was extremely easy to use on my iPhone 3G, however it's very nice on the Droid's to be able to create images of your phone, so if you mess up you can revert to one of your backups which still has all your settings, apps, etc.

Listen wifi sync with iTunes is one app. Any ringer is another. Any ringer let's u set any ringer u want with any song on ur phone, at any point in the song u like.. With no interaction with iTunes. Trust ne it's way easy if u wanna go to an unjail broken phone.. O and can u watch Netflix on ur droid NO.. But u got gingerbread with gay widgets and barely any battery life...

ah your wrong on the netflix....you can indeed watch them on the droid. also the droid x as well it hd! but the point wasnt to turn this into an hate iphone or hate droid thing...it was a post to try to resolve my issues with the iphone with ideas from people...on apps that might make the transition to iphone easier for me. there are pros and cons to both phone. iphone has no flash player....no adobe etc. Droid does. and it works well.
i have decided to keep my iphone4 i like it alot...jailbroke it today with poison and it was smooth and easy. i still havent figured out completely what this jailbreak will do for me completely but i like what it has let me do so far. Cydia is awesome.

now for more questions. i cant seem to figure out were to change the notification sounds for my google apps i put on the phone. those being g-wizz and the big google app thats has like email, gtalk and others. if someone could help with that that would be awesome.

Dude u cannot watch Netflix, hulu on any droid only thing u can watch is blockbuster. I put money on this..

Care to put your money were your mouth is? On a rooted droid we have been doing hulu for quite some time. It isnt that hard by the way.... As for net flix i think you better google it before you place your bets. dude.