What's new

ClassicMap App Brings Google Maps Back to iOS 6!

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
8778-classicmap.JPG

Cult of Mac has word today of a way in which all those who are missing Google Maps since they installed iOS 6 can bring back the good old days, with an app called ClassicMap. The app was created by Katsumi Kishikawa, and Cult of Mac says that it’s a “wrapper” for map data from elsewhere. The Standard mode shows you the regular iOS 6 maps data from the new app, but when you turn up the bottom-right corner and select Classic mode, you’ll be able to view that old familiar iOS 5 Maps layout. Cult of Mac says that it is pretty much the same as the old Maps app, albeit much more basic, without all the bells and whistles such as direction-finding and Street View, or even Points of Interest, but it works fine, although a little slow, they say. ClassicMap features map, satellite and hybrid views in both modes. Sounds good? Well it’s free, so even better!

Click here to download: ClassicMap for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: Free App Puts Native Google Maps Back On Your iOS 6 iPhone | Cult of Mac

Never been a real big fan of google or native ios maps.. I have been using Copilot (USA) for all of my navigation needs and it works flawlessly!

This is BS. I did not find this app in the app store!

This will get pulled from the iTunes store quicker than you can fart, trust me.

Wow they really wanna make it as hard as possible for people to find their way around. U'd think they'd @least keep it around 'til they got their act 2gether & fixed their own map app! Maybe I won't get an iphone 5 if this is how they treat their customers!

Just to let everyone know how quickly apple is working on maps, a few days ago when I got my ip5 I fired up maps to find with a bit of disappointment that my street that is in a suburb of Vancouver was not there. Then yesterday I fire it up again and Lo and behold - it places me on my street with the name. I suspect they are using users address book data to fix maps. If this is the case it is quite ingenious.

For a bit of background it took google about 2 years to fix the street.