What's new

Charging issue

kopite1976

Reaction score
If i let my iphone6 run out of battery completely, when I plug it it and turn the charge on it can take 30 mins for it to be ready for use again. Is this a known fault?

If i let my iphone6 run out of battery completely, when I plug it it and turn the charge on it can take 30 mins for it to be ready for use again. Is this a known fault?
It's not a known fault, that's the way it's supposed to work. If you run the battery down until the phone shuts off, it can take a while for the battery to charge enough to power the phone. what you describe is perfectly normal behaviour.

Thanks for your reply but do you have any proof that this is intentional? Seems odd.

When I first bought my iphone6 I let it run completely out of battery for the first 10 times and I'm pretty sure it didnt take over 30 mins to become useable.

Anyway, whether it is correct or not, it is poor!

30 minutes is s bit long in my opinion. I have seen it take 10 to 15 in most cases to come alive from a completely dead battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine normally takes about 10 minutes. How are you charging it? Are you using the factory charger?

I haven't let mine die but that does seem a bit long, My iPad Air takes about 3 or 4 minutes to wake up after letting the battery die.

last summer I let the battery on my iPad 4 run down completely until it went into low power shutdown. After plugging it into the charger it took about 4-5 minutes before I could turn it on.

I wonder how the OP is charging his phone? If charging from a computer it might take longer than charging from the mains.

I wonder how the OP is charging his phone? If charging from a computer it might take longer than charging from the mains.
Agreed, not all computers have the high power USB sockets installed on most newer computers.

Battery technology, these days, is such that it is not recommended that one always seeks to maintain a 100% charge nor routinely permit the phone's battery to fully discharge. It's now recommended that you "keep the juices flowing" for better battery longevity. The battery circuitry of the iPhone and the iPad permits a faster charge of the device up to but not exceeding the designed recommended max charge rate. Thus, you can use a iPad charger to more quickly charge an iPhone since its internal circuitry will ultimately limit the max flow rate to protect the battery.
YMMV

Reactions: MLH
Thanks for your reply but do you have any proof that this is intentional? Seems odd.

When I first bought my iphone6 I let it run completely out of battery for the first 10 times and I'm pretty sure it didnt take over 30 mins to become useable.

Anyway, whether it is correct or not, it is poor!
What you have done is purposely harmed your phone's battery life long term by doing so many full charge cycles. Some suggest doing it once to calibrate but the ideal use of the battery is to charge it between 40-60%. if you go to the Apple site and read the section on battery maintenance you will see that you were given good information. The fault is not in the phone but in your use.

I allways charge when the battery is between 15-30%.
I have my iPhone since release and still get 6-7 Hours of screentime with a stanby of 2 days.

Question about battery...just last night my 6 turned off and restart on its own while in charge and now will only charge to 99% no big deal I don't like the % on but just wondering why and how to resolve this ?

Question about battery...just last night my 6 turned off and restart on its own while in charge and now will only charge to 99% no big deal I don't like the % on but just wondering why and how to resolve this ?

Your battery percentage indicator just needs re-calibrating. It can be done by running the battery down then fully recharging it.

Ok and Ty for your reply I will do this :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk