What's new

Changing smartphone religions to Apple, choose iPhone SE or 6

iPhoneOwnerWannaB

Reaction score
I'm going to take the leap and jump Moto-G/Cyanogenmod ship, into the welcoming arms of Apple. The reasons are many. I went with Cyanogenmod because I didn't like the idea of a carrier customization of an OS. However, there are so many phone models that a milestone version of Cyanogenmod didn't get released for a long time. I'm actually not sure if a milestone version ever got released. All I know is that, after a certain point, I needed to update my bootloader before I could get new nightly releases. That change happened shortly after the Motorola handset business was sold overseas. Since I didn't any visbility into how the business works, I no longer felt comfortable upgrading the bootloader. Result: Out-of-date and likely vulnerable phone.

So going to Apple means I don't have to personally walk down seedy allies to upgrade my OS. I also don't have to worry about Google Play taking over my phone just so that I can get a PDF reading app. I can trust the app store a bit more. I don't know if I can trust Apple more than Google, but we've all heard the claim that Apples sells devices while Google sells users. I know it's not that simple, and they have an business incentive to anonymize personal data and not compromise their user base too much. I know that there are doozers of evil done by both establishments, despite their privacy stances today. Be that as it may, I've decided to throw my lot with Apple.

I'm hoping that I can get some ideas as to the trade-offs between the models, given my usage. I don't do gaming, and I communicate by smartphone by exception, except maybe a bit more for texting. I use both data plan and WiFi to surf the web, sometimes accumulate some podcasts/MP3s (but rarely), take some pictures sometimes, take the odd video, listen to FM radio (not streamed as data), use voice recording on a rare basis, read PDFs, prefer to use webmail rather than a mail client, absolutely need to sync my calendar and contacts with Outlook on a Windows laptop (AkrutoSync does this for iOS and Cyanogenmod), eschew the cloud for all things, don't have much need for memory (hardly made a dent in my Moto G's 8GB), hate the idea of having no audio jack. I'm OK with a screen size like the Moto G, though a bit bigger might be nice (might also be a hassle for one handed typing). The 5" height of the Moto G is perfect for front pocket carrying, especially when driving manual shift. I will not have any other device besides my laptop and my smartphone.

I believe that I am looking at an iPhone SE or iPhone 6: EDITED - no website links

The SE has gotten good reviews, but the screen is smaller than my Moto G. I might get use to that. The iPhone 6 is a bit taller than my 5" ideal, not sure how that will feel after owning it for a while and driving around working the clutch. Apparently, Apple doesn't create plastic dummy phones for retail purposes (I remember getting plastic dummies of different phones to test them out before settling on the Moto G). A colleague indicated to me that the SE won't get many more OS updates (or maybe he meant that it won't get any more period), and he said that there were interesting features to be had with the upgrades. However, vulnerabilities will still be patched for a long time.

Given my modest usage, I wonder if there will be anything that I might miss due to the SE being left out in the cold, figuratively speaking, in terms of upgrades? It's probably hard to know what kind of future features one would like a lot. Are there any considerations that I should be mulling?

P.S. I owned one of the earliest iPod Touches many years ago, so I know how good they make their products. Even the soft keys respond more accurately on that Touch compared to the Moto G.

Last edited by a moderator: