What's new

Changed computers - how to sync contacts?

wordsmyth

Reaction score
1st post. Real name Rick. I've been hanging out on and benefiting from internet forums for a long while - mostly motorcycling and outdoors type stuff.

My question is me asking on behalf of bride (of 37 years). Yes, she is a fortunate woman to have me to do her tech chores!

Her home computer is mostly Facebook stuff and email with children and grandchildren. In other words, she does not do a lot of stuff that mandates frequent syncs or backups.

The last time she did an iPhone sync with her home computer she was using an old MS Vista unit.

Recently we upgraded her home desktop computer to a W7Pro unit and when we plugged in her iPhone to do a sync we got a message about the old Vista machine.

What do I need to know before proceeding so that I avoid inadvertently erasing the phone?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

PS: "Buy a Mac book" will not be a helpful answer... LOL

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Rick!

Before you connect the iPhone to the computer, open iTunes. Go to Edit - Preferences - Devices, and then select "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically".

Then connect the iPhone to the PC using the USB cable. When iTunes recognizes it, click "Store" and "Authorize this computer".

After authorizing, you should be able to create a backup: File - Devices - Back Up.

I suppose the iTunes library wasn't migrated to the new computer, which means that of the items on the iPhone cannot be synced back to iTunes, like photos imported from her previous PC, or music files imported from a CD.

Here are a few options what you can do with the other content on her device, so it won't get lost when she syncs the iPhone to iTunes:
iTunes Transferring media from your iPhone iPad iPod touch or iPod - Apple Support

Hope that helps.

Your iPhone can only sync with one iTunes library at a time, which is why you get that message. If your old computer is still working, you cam move the iTunes library from your old computer to the new one. This would stop those annoying messages any would allow you to sync with the new computer without any problems.
How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support