What's new

Car mount with charger for iPhone 5

Well it looks interesting ..... I am just wondering if audio out port is not blocked when the phone is mounted. Please share your experience when you get it. Thanks

Even if it was I would go Bluetooth .. much safer without any cords hanging from the ears. You can also get an overhead BT speaker & attach it to the visor. My favorite BT earphone/speaker is Plantronics Pro Voyager. You can buy it off amazon.com much cheaper. The audio quality is the best.

Well I have different opinion on that :)
Bluetooth is definitely OK but you can't compare audio quality coming from Bluetooth v.s. coming from car speakers . Also the point is that sometime you want to use it as a car navigator and being charged at the same time.

Don't give up yet. I might take a while (January shipping?) but check out the Foundation Dock on Kickstarter. It looks like their Flexible Cable and USB Car Charger is just what you are looking for. My car already has a USB port so I am thinking of getting just the cable.

iphone_at_uva said:
Don't give up yet. I might take a while (January shipping?) but check out the Foundation Dock on Kickstarter. It looks like their Flexible Cable and USB Car Charger is just what you are looking for. My car already has a USB port so I am thinking of getting just the cable.

Well thanks for the great heads-up.
The site and products look great.
I don't see car mount with charger yet for iPhone 5 but it looks very interesting.

This works with ear buds/phones .. you can slide the bottom support over. I bought this and tried it out with my phone. I have a car charger, bought the Belkin 2.1 car charger from Verizon corporate store, and ordered another Lightning cord from Apple. I am set to charge and listen with the phone safely mounted.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FHX9OK/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

Last edited:
hi kris7047th

this car mount looks nice and not very costly ... BUT my point is to have car mount which will allow you just to place the phone, clip it, and the car mount itself will charge it ... and that's it. the only thing you need to do is just connect audio out to headset or aux in.
It looks that I was "spoiled" by android phones because as many phones I had always was able to get charging car mount.
I just don't like the idea to plug charger into my phone every time I mount it. I prefer to do it only once and plug into a car mount instead of phone.

Have you seen a car mount that inserts into the power outlet? I haven't and question the safety of that with having to look down that far. Where mine is located .. in the window, or closer to that proximity .. at least you can observe directions without having to lose vision of the road.

Safety should come first IMO

Have you seen a car mount that inserts into the power outlet? I haven't and question the safety of that with having to look down that far. Where mine is located .. in the window, or closer to that proximity .. at least you can observe directions without having to lose vision of the road.

Safety should come first IMO

Susja (OP) is saying that there are mounts for Android phones (my co-worker has one for a Droid X - so I know from experience), that look nearly identical to the one you proposed by iOttie (which I also plan to order if I don't find anything better and just hack together a permanent solution). The difference is that the power cable and audio features are permanently installed as part of the dock -- so when you dock, you're also automatically connecting it for charging. My co-workers (I don't believe) connects audio, but the concept is solid. His also switches to a "car mode" where you automatically just just talk at your phone for directions and calling people... It's really nice.

Is that right Susja?

jeffsawyer said:
Susja (OP) is saying that there are mounts for Android phones (my co-worker has one for a Droid X - so I know from experience), that look nearly identical to the one you proposed by iOttie (which I also plan to order if I don't find anything better and just hack together a permanent solution). The difference is that the power cable and audio features are permanently installed as part of the dock -- so when you dock, you're also automatically connecting it for charging. My co-workers (I don't believe) connects audio, but the concept is solid. His also switches to a "car mode" where you automatically just just talk at your phone for directions and calling people... It's really nice.

Is that right Susja?

You are absolutely right! That was my original point when I started this thread.
It works just perfect and you only need to clip your phone .
I am just surprised whey accessories manufactures who did it for Android phones failed to do similar for iPhones.

Hey Folks,

Do you have any update on this subject?
I just got my iPhone 5 but still can't find any charging car mount.
Have you noticed anything new on the market?
Thanks

Have you noticed anything new on the market?

Nothing new. One idea is just to rig up a thunderbolt charging cable so it stays in place at the bottom of the dock, but it definitely wouldn't be ideal. Personally, I'd also like to have the audio out rigged in the same manner (or somehow use the lightning connect for that?) and then have that go to the stereo system. :)

Again, a single click-in and go method for rigging this up is desperately needed.

well ... good for him ... but I don't like that idea to make a hole(s) in my car instead of having quite simple but still functioning car mount :)