What's new

Can't unlock account

jackog

Reaction score
I'm a senior citizen new to Apple (got fed up with Android and Samsung). Bought a 5s about November time managed to set it up and all was going fine until I mistakenly tried to help another aged colleague to set up an old i4 someone had given him.
I do not know what I did wrong but ever since I keep intermittently getting a message saying go to settings and enter password for Apple ID, if I do that its says your account is locked for security reasons. If I follow the procedure to unlock account I change my password but then its back to square one.
Other than this intermittent message the phone appears to be fully functional.
Would be very grateful for any help.
Thank you Gary

Welcome to the forum.
Good move from Android to Apple iPhone.

Welcome to iPhone Forums, Gary!

Use this site to unlock your account:
Recover Your Apple ID - Apple

Enter your Apple ID and follow the instructions to unlock the account.
Try signing in to this site afterwards:
https://appleid.apple.com/uk/
Welcome to iPhone Forums, Gary!

Use this site to unlock your account:
Recover Your Apple ID - Apple

Enter your Apple ID and follow the instructions to unlock the account.
Try signing in to this site afterwards:
https://appleid.apple.com/uk/

Thank you J.A. for your prompt response. I went to the recover your ID procedure and used my current password, it just said use a password you have not used before.
Went to the other site you mentioned, signed in using my present password and could see all my account details.
Have been using phone for the past couple of hours and so far have not had the "sign in message appear.

That's good to hear.
You're welcome.

Oh dear this morning " Go to settings......account locked for security reasons".

Recently whilst visiting my son, a long time Apple user, abroad he did some sort of reset which involved holding two buttons at the same time, but that made no difference.

Other than this minor annoyance the phone functions well and I much prefer Ios to Android.

Oh dear this morning " Go to settings......account locked for security reasons".

Recently whilst visiting my son, a long time Apple user, abroad he did some sort of reset which involved holding two buttons at the same time, but that made no difference.

Other than this minor annoyance the phone functions well and I much prefer Ios to Android.

Anyone have any other ideas?. There's an Apple store about 30 miles away perhaps I should take i there?

Have you tried these instructions from Apple? If your Apple ID is locked - Apple Support

Hi Folks

Have been in hospital and convalescing but back home now.

Have retried all the above suggestions but still in the same situation as before.

The person I tried to help out (my ex wife!) posted her iphone 4 back to me as it kept coming up with the same message i.e. enter password for my apple id.
I then realised with my lack of Apple knowhow when setting up said phone I had used my itunes account to download some apps for her.
I reset her phone and reloaded apps via Wi-fi and all seemed well.

I thought I might try the same for my phone but could not because when I entered my password, "account locked" was the response.

Returning to the replies I received from you kind folks, I wonder If I am doing something wrong when I go to the Unlock your account/reset your password procedure?
When I enter my current password I just see a message in red saying, use a password you have not used in the past year and when I hit reset nothing happens.

Hi Folks

Have been in hospital and convalescing but back home now.

Have retried all the above suggestions but still in the same situation as before.

The person I tried to help out (my ex wife!) posted her iphone 4 back to me as it kept coming up with the same message i.e. enter password for my apple id.
I then realised with my lack of Apple knowhow when setting up said phone I had used my itunes account to download some apps for her.
I reset her phone and reloaded apps via Wi-fi and all seemed well.

I thought I might try the same for my phone but could not because when I entered my password, "account locked" was the response.

Returning to the replies I received from you kind folks, I wonder If I am doing something wrong when I go to the Unlock your account/reset your password procedure?
When I enter my current password I just see a message in red saying, use a password you have not used in the past year and when I hit reset nothing happens.

Situation finally resolved after an hour on the phone with Apple Support. It seems I had somehow corrupted my Apple ID by linking it to my ex-wifes when I misguidedly tried to help her.
Many thanks to all for the helpful suggestions I received here.

Situation finally resolved after an hour on the phone with Apple Support. It seems I had somehow corrupted my Apple ID by linking it to my ex-wifes when I misguidedly tried to help her.
Many thanks to all for the helpful suggestions I received here.
That's great news! Thanks for letting us know.