What's new

Can the iPhone 4S multitask?? Need an alarm app that works!

Krupke

Reaction score
I recently bought an iPhone 4S basically to use as a high tech alarm clock. So for 2-3 days straight, I've been trying to find a proper alarm app that works like a $20 alarm clock. No dice! A standard alarm clock has a display that does not erase itself in 60 seconds. Not the iPhone 4s! I've tried anywhere from 12-24 alarm apps, I can't get a single one to defeat Apple's auto-lock. So after 60 seconds, I can forget about being able to check the time throughout the night! And I am not going to turn off/on auto-lock every day, to use the alarm function. (And yes, I know I can go into notifications and tell "certain" apps (only SOME will show up here) to "view in lock screen". All apps that can do this are already configured to do so by default. Except it does not do anything for me! The lock screen still comes on, so the clock goes away).

Here's what I am looking for in an alarm app:

* Must show time on display in large easy to read letters (preferably not ugly font)
* Must be completely dimmable, and put out very little light (this is the only advantage over a standard clock, so its important)
* Must be smart enough to avoid being blacked out by the iPhones lock screen!
* Must be free!
* Must not have ads that stay on the clock display screen all night!

I tried the "Sleep Machine" app last night.... which was great, it produces background noise to help you sleep, and I slept well all night because of it. PROBLEM is, as soon as you go out of its screen, it cuts off the sound! And since it's not an alarm app, it has no clock display!

I'll save you a great deal of time. Your list is impossible to fulfill.

The only solution anyone can offer is either:

1) Jailbreak

2) Android

I recommend you go with Android if you think having this app is a deal breaker for staying with iOS.

Settings/Auto Lock/Never. Problem solved.

I use Alarm Clock HD, I turn the Volume for apps and ringer down completely and Alarm Clock HD has it's own volume control to turn up loud. The only way your clock won't be visable is if you get email notifications on screen. It has different colors you can set it to, sort of a collage of rainbow. Dimming is accomplished by swiping left or right. I use the Alarm Clock HD Paid (no commercials).

Skull One: See, if I'd have simply listened to your expert advice, and had not tested more clock apps before reading it, I would never have found what I'm looking, and I'd be out buying an Android right now. Good thing I didn't. Let that be a lesson to all!

The app that can do everything I asked for is called "Yocto Clock" (testing criteria details below). And btw, I have a rooted HTC Desire, which I gave to my gf.

Yocto clock**:
display: customizable font/background,
dimmable?: display dimmable
stay lit all night?: yes, IF charging
gradual wake?: customizable gradual wake and snooze
sounds: MANY sounds, including ggood ones, and itunes custom sounds (flute 1 is good!)
volume override?: has own volume level
orientation?: both
ads?: no
limitations?: completely free!

CLOSE SECONDS are....: Sleep Time (couldn't get rid of it, 'cos the design of the display was gorgeous), iHome Sleep (very nice interface, one of the best free clock apps i've tried), Theme Clock (ugly clock faces but very dimmable), Alarm Clock + v3.6.4 (nice font, pretty dimmable, ads on display screen but not visible when dimmed).

djqwikcut: "I just use built in clock app. Works perfect "

Not unless you want to have your retinas burned by your bedside iPhone. Ok, I may be exagerrating, but I know about the iPhone's clock, and if it was suitable for me, I would not be spending 3 days of my life trying to find another.

HOOKBILL: >> Settings/Auto Lock/Never. Problem solved.

NO, because I want auto lock during waking hours. Although now that you mention it.... I'm not sure WHY I need auto lock on, if I don't use the cell phone part.... Hmmmm...... Let me think about this...... I'd have to do some more tests, but even if I left auto lock disabled, that doesn't stop the screen from auto dimming. I believe that's a separate function, and as I am new to Apple, I'm not sure if that's defeatable on the stock phone.

Alarm Clock HD was one of the many I tried, that didn't cut the mustard. Don't recall why exactly. Perhaps because it offered nothing better than Yocto, or was not dimmable enough. (I want to throw as little light as possible into the room at night).

Last edited:
Skull One: See, if I'd have simply listened to your expert advice, and had not tested more clock apps before reading it, I would never have found what I'm looking, and I'd be out buying an Android right now. Good thing I didn't. Let that be a lesson to all!

Your list was very specific. And based on that, my advice was spot on. If you change the one condition of not needing auto lock my advice would have been completely different.

I guess the real lesson here is that next time you shouldn't make a list you don't plan on sticking with. Because calling me out AFTER you have changed your mind is actually pretty dumb thing to do.

HOOKBILL: >> Settings/Auto Lock/Never. Problem solved.

NO, because I want auto lock during waking hours. Although now that you mention it.... I'm not sure WHY I need auto lock on, if I don't use the cell phone part.... Hmmmm...... Let me think about this...... I'd have to do some more tests, but even if I left auto lock disabled, that doesn't stop the screen from auto dimming. I believe that's a separate function, and as I am new to Apple, I'm not sure if that's defeatable on the stock phone.

Alarm Clock HD was one of the many I tried, that didn't cut the mustard. Don't recall why exactly. Perhaps because it offered nothing better than Yocto, or was not dimmable enough. (I want to throw as little light as possible into the room at night).

It probably didn't cut the mustard because you didn't know how to use it. It does not auto dim, and you can control the dimming. If you've already paid for it, try it again. Remember, dimming is controlled by swiping left to right. Or right to left, lol.

Your list was very specific. And based on that, my advice was spot on. If you change the one condition of not needing auto lock my advice would have been completely different.

I guess the real lesson here is that next time you shouldn't make a list you don't plan on sticking with. Because calling me out AFTER you have changed your mind is actually pretty dumb thing to do.

No, I'm sorry you still have it wrong. The Yocto app responds to every criteria I mentioned I wanted. I didn't change any condition, so i don't know what you're talking about. Yocto DOES override auto-lock when the phone is in charge, and while I had it on battery during this testing phase, I plan to always have it on charge. And before you tell me next that all clock apps override the auto-lock on charge, NO, most of them don't.

And puh-lease, don't pretend like you knew about Yocto, but didn't bother to mention the app to me because you already knew that it doesn't override the phone's auto-lock function when in battery mode. Because you didn't know any of that. So you see, the "pretty dumb thing" is pretending you know everything, and talking to people like as if you do. Some people dumber than I am might have just believed you (got fooled by you), and voila - they spend $500 on a new phone because you told them something that was wrong. It's them I'm trying to help!

Next time, just practice saying "I think....", or "In my experience....". You may have to ratchet the ego down a notch, but really, it's not so hard if you try.

It probably didn't cut the mustard because you didn't know how to use it. It does not auto dim, and you can control the dimming. If you've already paid for it, try it again. Remember, dimming is controlled by swiping left to right. Or right to left, lol.

Alarm HD didn't cut the mustard because it didn't cut the mustard. I may be new to Apple devices, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to use a smartphone. I realize you wish to justify the $1 or whatever you paid for this app, but I think I know my own needs in an app better than you do. I've probably deleted more clock apps than you've tried, and Alarm HD was one of them. For me, it offered nothing over Yocto, or some other clock apps I preferred. I didn't say it had 'auto dim', I was referring to the iPhone's automatic function of dimming the screen, before going into the lock screen. If you're happy with your purchase of the app, then be happy with it. You don't need my approval to justify that it was a good purchase. True, I have found better apps than Alarm HD that are truly free, but that doesn't mean you should have regrets over your purchase.

No, I'm sorry you still have it wrong. The Yocto app responds to every criteria I mentioned I wanted. I didn't change any condition, so i don't know what you're talking about. Yocto DOES override auto-lock when the phone is in charge, and while I had it on battery during this testing phase, I plan to always have it on charge. And before you tell me next that all clock apps override the auto-lock on charge, NO, most of them don't.

And puh-lease, don't pretend like you knew about Yocto, but didn't bother to mention the app to me because you already knew that it doesn't override the phone's auto-lock function when in battery mode. Because you didn't know any of that. So you see, the "pretty dumb thing" is pretending you know everything, and talking to people like as if you do. Some people dumber than I am might have just believed you (got fooled by you), and voila - they spend $500 on a new phone because you told them something that was wrong. It's them I'm trying to help!

Next time, just practice saying "I think....", or "In my experience....". You may have to ratchet the ego down a notch, but really, it's not so hard if you try.

*sigh* I am going to cut you some slack because you are new here. But let me make a few things perfectly clear.

1) My ego is never involved with a post.
2) I only post facts unless it is noted as opinion. And if there may be ambiguity, I make sure to clearly label the ambiguity.
3) I tend to only post on subject matters that I can give a five minute speech on to a group of people well versed in that subject matter.
4) I have been a software developer and electronic technician for nearly 3 decades.
5) I am a software developer for both Android and iOS.

So with those facts on the table. You posted the following:
* Must be smart enough to avoid being blacked out by the iPhones lock screen!
It is IMPOSSIBLE for any user submitted app, that is not written for a jailbroken iOS device, to do that under any version of iOS released till this day UNLESS you change Auto-Lock to Never. Hence your requirement, as written, precluded me from offering ANY suggestion other than the two I did. This is a fact you can not argue with no matter how you want to word things. See that is the nice thing about facts and why I use them in conversations.

So do yourself a favor and quit while you are ahead. Because about right now, most mods would have simply issued you an infraction or banned you. I on the other hand do not mind correcting someones ignorance. But if you cross the line to stupidity, I won't bother to respond. I will simply let the staff here handle you as they see fit. And just so you know, I am the nice one here.

*sigh* I am going to cut you some slack because you are new here. But let me make a few things perfectly clear.

1) My ego is never involved with a post.
2) I only post facts unless it is noted as opinion. And if there may be ambiguity, I make sure to clearly label the ambiguity.
3) I tend to only post on subject matters that I can give a five minute speech on to a group of people well versed in that subject matter.
4) I have been a software developer and electronic technician for nearly 3 decades.
5) I am a software developer for both Android and iOS.

So with those facts on the table.

Those "facts" mean nothing; other than your ego got bruised and you're trying to compensate. I have more computer and electronics experience than you do, but that means nothing as well. All that matters is whether the Yocto app can over ride the auto-lock like I said, and it can, and that's an easily provable fact - even if you're not happy about it because it means you were wrong.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for any user submitted app, that is not written for a jailbroken iOS device, to do that under any version of iOS released till this day UNLESS you change Auto-Lock to Never. Hence your requirement, as written, precluded me from offering ANY suggestion other than the two I did. This is a fact you can not argue with no matter how you want to word things. See that is the nice thing about facts and why I use them in conversations.

Except you don't seem to be able to discern facts from the bs that you make up. I already explained that the Yocto Clock app does avoid being blacked out by the by the iPhone's screen. That's a fact, I derived from testing it. Whereas you've never even heard of the program, let alone tested it - so why are you even doubting me about it? You're being foolish here. Anyone can test this program themselves and see that you're wrong. It will not allow the lock screen to interfere, even if it is turned on, so long as the phone is being charged. You also seem to be completely unaware of the fact that you can configure "View in Lock Screen" under Notifications in settings for certain apps (Yocto included). So you're also wrong about having to change Auto-lock to NEVER, as one's only option.

You really have a problem admitting you're wrong, don't you? If there's one thing I can't stand, it's dogmatic people who pretend to be experts and sole possesors of "the Truth", and when they're called out as being wrong they won't admit it.

So do yourself a favor and quit while you are ahead. Because about right now, most mods would have simply issued you an infraction or banned you. I on the other hand do not mind correcting someones ignorance. But if you cross the line to stupidity, I won't bother to respond. I will simply let the staff here handle you as they see fit. And just so you know, I am the nice one here.

Are you kidding me?! Banned me for what, correcting you?! Oh, can't do that 'cos you're a "mod", huh? Is that why you used the appeal to authority tactic, where you list all your qualifications for being wrong? If you want to ban me because I pointed out how wrong you are, trust me, I won't lose sleep over it. It'll just show how right I am again about what an ego you have, that you won't stand to be called out when you have been proven to be factually wrong about something. And I didn't even notice you were a mod, but it wouldn't have made a difference to me. It does to you, because you are considering using your position of authority, because a "noob" made you look bad. I suggest that if your ego is that fragile, you ought not to get involved in the threads, and just moderate them. I was trying to help people by correcting you, since you were giving out dangerous misinformation about the iPhone, that could cost them hundreds of dollars. You're not being helpful. Remember, you're the one that advised me to go spend $500 on a new phone, because I'll never find an app that will do what I want. That's within two hours of me finding the app that will do all that I said I wanted.

And now you're trying to tell people that the app won't do what i said it will do, because then that means you're wrong again! Unbelievable! How many years did you say you had in this biz?! lol

Decided to step back and put the thread in "timeout" so I could reread everything before anyone else chimed in. So that is why it disappeared for a bit.

When two people have a debate and both people believe they have the truth or facts on their side, you should try to determine why both people believe that. So I quit relying on my memory and started from scratch as if I didn't know the answer to begin with. And in the process, I learned something that I was not ready for.

Without going into to much detail, because simply put I consider it an excuse, my memory isn't what it used to be. 28+ years in programming finally caught up with me and I confused two SDKs properties and its implication to the OS being discussed.

Kind of chuckling right now. My wife has been telling me for a few months that my memory seems to be slipping and confusing two or more memories into one. I'll be, she is right.

Krupke you have my sincerest apology. Pure and simple, I messed up. I didn't re-research my fact. I simply relied on my memory of said fact. Sadly that memory is flawed based on what I discovered tonight.

Krupke is right. iOS apps have the ability to turn the Auto Lock timer off if it is warranted. Apple's SDK call is @property(nonatomic, getter=isIdleTimerDisabled) BOOL idleTimerDisabled. Took me all of 20 seconds to go into the XCode help on my iMac and find the answer. And I should have done that first before assuming my memory was bullet proof this morning.

Normally, I would say "I'll just make sure I never make that mistake again". This time I can't say that. Going to be interesting to see how I am going to deal with the new reality I have discovered tonight.

*sidenote while I am thinking about it*
hookbill even though you didn't say it directly the other day, you were right. I am slipping. I suddenly feel truly old for the first time.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't expect that. I commend you on your honesty, and your desire to seek the truth. And I apologize for what I said about your ego! When people like you or I reach an age where we have stored vast quantities of information, it's normal to lose access to some of it! That's why I don't like people telling me useless things I don't need to know ("Did you know that when Kierkegaard was a young lad...."). 'Cos then I lose the important stuff that I need to keep in there....

If anyone doesn't have Apple's SDK code libraries at 20 seconds reach on their computer, all they have to do is go into their iPhone's "Settings", "Notifications", and scroll down to see which apps are listed. Those that are, will allow you to turn "View in Lock Screen" off or on (it is ON by default). Having said that, my experience trying 12-24 clock apps recently shows that setting doesn't seem to affect much. At least not on battery power, which is how I tested most of the apps. Most would allow the screensaver/lockscreen to trigger, and you end up having a black screen when you wake up in the middle of the night to look at the time. Kind of defeats the purpose of a bedtime clock app!

Compounding the problem of finding a good app, is that I required it put out -very- little light; less than a night light (our brain is sensitive to any light in the room, and it can affect quality of sleep). Even those that dim usually don't dim enough, and put out too much background light. Yotco allows you to use your own wallpaper as background (ie. black) and you can dim the digits to grey/black.

p.s. I too just learned something... Yocto Clock has a setting I hadn't noticed before, that allows you to disable Auto-Lock (or even set it to disable in x minutes); including a separate setting for both battery power and while charged! Can't recall seeing this option in any other app I tested.

Last edited:
How can an app override my company policy to enforce auto lock? I do not believe that is possible. Seems like it would be a security hole.

LOL. Didn't take long for the second half of what my memory blended to be asked. The policy enforcement system was added recently and I consider it to be a secondary SDK because of its implications.

Unfortunately I have no direct experience with it other than reading it once. But I assumed it was a complete override and hence my stance. Once I realized that very few people would actually fall under it, that is when I knew I screwed up. Because the current SDK help, that I reread last night, doesn't discuss the implications nor conflict. Which is very odd in my opinion. So I had no choice but to concede that I was dead wrong.

I would be more than happy to pay for the app zphone, so you can test it and report the result back. For me personally, I would like to know if I got it partially right. Even though it doesn't change the fact I was still dead wrong for the original question asked.