What's new

Can police get into your iPhone with a password lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luciddreaming

Reaction score
Recently I was arrested and the police decided to seize my cellphone for evidence and although I don't have much to worry about in the phone, I do have the feeling of being violated because of personal things in the phone I'm sure they will see.

It's an iPhone 5 and I don't have the latest IOS update (probably last updated a year ago honestly) and I have tried doing research and only found articles about a law saying that Apple will no longer help police get into phones?

Any help?

Thank you.

Your other post on this same topic has been deleted. Duplicate posts can fragment any resulting conversations and are also against our rules.

Your other post on this same topic has been deleted. Duplicate posts can fragment any resulting conversations and are also against our rules.

Apologies, I couldn't find this one so I assumed it was deleted and that I had posted in the wrong section.

Case law recently said you can't be required to give your password but digital Id does not have the same protections. And if you had no lock on it and were in custody they can go thru anything.

Last edited:
But I was told by my lawyer - not sure if he knows anything about electronics - that if they can't get past my passlock they may send it to the FBI to get past the password lock - I guess my question is can they forcibly get into your phone through some technique?

Probably. But I think the FBI may want a court order. The local dept. May also have their own computer forensic machines and may have the capability. Or they may just try the easy stuff. But it would depend on the charges you were arrested on and the evidence they think they may find in the phone.

I was arrested on felony drug charges (even though the cops clearly knew it was the guy in my passenger seat's stuff) - but they told me they're going to look into my phone. I've just read on many websites that there is some encryption on iPhones and some new law.

Does anyone here know for sure?

My initial statement is case law within the last 6 months. As my second post states, case circumstance affect how they will handle evidence. The only thing I know about encryption is how to enable it n my iPhone using iTunes. GL.

If you are innocent and there is nothing in your phone to incriminate you then I wouldn't worry about them seeing anything personal.
I'm sure they won't be interested in your personal life and once they have seen it they can eliminate you so why not just show them.
I'm not sure though about the technical side of it.

Actually, that's not quite true. He needs to follow his lawyer's advice. Between party to the crime laws and vehicle forfeiture laws and any number of drug violation laws, who knows what exactly could be problematic for him. I understand his concern, I just can't give him all the answers he wants and needs.

Maybe the laws are different here in the UK then.

Well, I don't know what's on my phone because the passenger rider with the crap was the one using my phone talking to someone involved in bad things. Which makes me nervous but I don't know for sure what was said.

A recent ruling has stated that they can make you unlock your phone using TouchID, but it is unlawful for them to request you to do so with a pin lock. So if you had a phone with TouchID and were being pulled over if you power your phone off they cannot make you unlock it. Every reboot requires a pin unlock before TouchID is activated.

My advice is to EDITED!!!!!! You just admitted to knowing your passenger was on the phone engaged with questionable people. Anything you say on this forum has ZERO PRIVACY!!! Think people!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.