What's new

Can I buy an iphone under contract and gift it?

timpo

Reaction score
I have an upgrade with Verizon, and I wanted to buy an iPhone4 off of Verizon's website using my upgrade. Once I get the phone, however, I want to give the phone to someone else to activate who is not part of my cell phone plan. Can I do this? Will I avoid signing up for data plan this way? Is there a better way or any hoops I have to jump through to accomplish my goal?

You can activate any iphone via any iTunes you wish so it wouldn't be a problem...

I had an issue once about Verizon initially locking it to the person who's account it was ordered on (to prevent theft).

I found this out the hard way when I bought a Curve 2 from a guy on craigslist. Tech support actually had us on 3 way, where they activated it on his line for like 30 seconds, and only then could activate it on my line.

Even if this is the case, I'm assuming you know the person, and would be able to do this if they have any trouble.

I have an upgrade with Verizon, and I wanted to buy an iPhone4 off of Verizon's website using my upgrade. Once I get the phone, however, I want to give the phone to someone else to activate who is not part of my cell phone plan. Can I do this? Will I avoid signing up for data plan this way? Is there a better way or any hoops I have to jump through to accomplish my goal?

What i have understood and i just recently did this because i had 4 lines available for upgrade and i ordered the Iphone 4 for all of my lines, but i only use 2 of them so i was going to sell the other 2.....Well i figured that i could leave them unopened and just sell them, but after checking around i found out that for your upgrade to be registered so that 2 years from when you activate your newest upgrade phone...the new iphone has to be activated first for you before you can sell it or give it away, if you hook it up to itunes and then dial *228 to activate it will disable your current phone on the number that your new Iphone 4 was ordered under...and you will have to call Verizon again and get the iphone off and the old phone back on....so be aware of this before selling or giving away a phone, unless you go to a verizon store with the person who is buying it or that you are giving the phone too.

What i have understood and i just recently did this because i had 4 lines available for upgrade and i ordered the Iphone 4 for all of my lines, but i only use 2 of them so i was going to sell the other 2.....Well i figured that i could leave them unopened and just sell them, but after checking around i found out that for your upgrade to be registered so that 2 years from when you activate your newest upgrade phone...the new iphone has to be activated first for you before you can sell it or give it away, if you hook it up to itunes and then dial *228 to activate it will disable your current phone on the number that your new Iphone 4 was ordered under...and you will have to call Verizon again and get the iphone off and the old phone back on....so be aware of this before selling or giving away a phone, unless you go to a verizon store with the person who is buying it or that you are giving the phone too.

Yup, that was my experience too. I think part of their reasoning is that it comes preprogrammed for the account holder and makes thing easier, and to prevent theft during shipment.

That's the thing I don't like about Verizon and CDMA; change of ownership is such a hassle. With ATT or any GSM phone, just swap out the GSM card and you're good to go (if you have the same carrier) or unlock it and you're still good to go. Easy as 1-2-3! Plus, if unlocked (which is so simple these days), I can use it anywhere in the world. Good luck with that with CDMA. If rumors are true, the upcoming iPhone 5 should get rid of this dilemma with GSM/CDMA compatibility.

Last edited: