What's new

Cable won't unplug from iPhone 4S

jwehlitz

Reaction score
Since my Otterbox Defender keeps me from attaching my iPhone 4S to my audio dock, I bought a cable extension. The extension cable works fine, and both audio and charging work through this additional cable.

Now for the problem, when I was ready to unplug the cable from the phone, it would not unplug. This is very frustrating, since I need to carry my phone everywhere, all the time for business reasons. Not to mention that I like to have my favorite tech toy handy.

I don't want to pull too hard since I don't want to damage the phone. I've pulled as hard as I feel safe in doing, and the cable is still securely attached to the phone. Like other cables I have there are tiny hooks at the sides of the connector, but no buttons to press to release.

Have any of you had a problem like this? Would you recommend removing the case and pressing in below the connector with something thin in hopes of releasing a hook?

Thanks in advance. I'll appreciate any help you can give.

Since my Otterbox Defender keeps me from attaching my iPhone 4S to my audio dock, I bought a cable extension. The extension cable works fine, and both audio and charging work through this additional cable.

Now for the problem, when I was ready to unplug the cable from the phone, it would not unplug. This is very frustrating, since I need to carry my phone everywhere, all the time for business reasons. Not to mention that I like to have my favorite tech toy handy.

I don't want to pull too hard since I don't want to damage the phone. I've pulled as hard as I feel safe in doing, and the cable is still securely attached to the phone. Like other cables I have there are tiny hooks at the sides of the connector, but no buttons to press to release.

Have any of you had a problem like this? Would you recommend removing the case and pressing in below the connector with something thin in hopes of releasing a hook?

Thanks in advance. I'll appreciate any help you can give.
i would start by removing the case but i wouldn't press anything in there,i can only suggest trying to ease it out in the usual way,maybe try pushing it before you pull,its a tricky one.

I used to have to really pull on my old iPod because it wouldn't release. Couple times I thought I was going to take the wires out of the plug. Didn't hurt it any but ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you could take it to an Apple store,they may have seen this before.

I took a good look at the iPhone cable and the little tabs that stick out of each side are supported by pretty light springs. Thats all.

I'd take a small pair of pliers and put a napkin or piece of cloth on each side of the plier teeth and yank.

I was finally able to remove the cable. The tabs that stick out from each side of the connector protrude further on this cable than most. If I file down the tabs to normal it will probably be OK.