What's new

Bluetooth issues

Joe Parker

Reaction score
I really hope someone can help with this PITA issue...
First- I currently have an XR but I've had this issue with every iPhone I've ever had. (As well as every Bluetooth I've ever used with my iPhones).
I rely on my Bluetooth a lot. I love being able to answer a call just by saying 'answer' and all of the other really useful capabilities.
When I answer a call- and even when I'm placing a call- it will initially use my Bluetooth for audio etc- but then I'll hear another click and it will change to the phone audio/speaker. Like I said while answering or placing calls. (This is not every time. I would say it happens like 33% of the time)
This has happened with different brands of Bluetooth- so I do not think it's the Bluetooth devices.
I cannot believe I'm the only one with this issue but I cannot find any references in the Apple forums or even doing a Google search.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What device are you pairing with?

How far away from the device are you when it disconnects?

Does it happen with other devices?

What is your battery level (both device and iPhone) when the call drops?

Do you routinely pair with more than one device, and how often do you switch between them?

What device are you pairing with?

How far away from the device are you when it disconnects?

Does it happen with other devices?

What is your battery level (both device and iPhone) when the call drops?

Do you routinely pair with more than one device, and how often do you switch between them?

You bring up excellent questions.
I have found no issues with the battery level of either my phone or Bluetooth device. Both can be fully charged when it happens.

The proximity. I know the average range for the current version of Bluetooth is like 33'. I often experience the problem while the phone is on my person. (and the Bluetooth in my ear)

And the call isn't dropping. The call stays connected but the output switches from Bluetooth to phone and I have to hit the audio button to reroute the output.

The only consistent is that it usually happens when I use voice commands. Either to receive or place a call. Some of the Bluetooth devices have built in voice commands- which I turn off because I use Siri and do not want there to be a conflict.

Thanks for giving this some thought. This has been happening for years so I've looked at all the different scenarios.

My iPad Pro II will, once in a great while, kick my headphones off and go to the speakers, it doesn't matter which pair I am using (only difference is one is gold other is black). It doesn't do it when anything is happening other than listening to music, watching Netflix, or one of my purchased movies. It only happens with that iPad, not at all with any of my iPhones or Apple TV 4K.

Like you I am close (holding my iPad and wearing my headphones). I'll be monitoring this thread [emoji106]

Too many variables to diagnose without controlling the environment, so I'm going to throw out some ideas and hopefully one of them helps your issue.

- is your bluetooth device's firmware up to date?
- have you tried a different brand/device and experience similar results?
- is your iOS updated?
- while it doesn't sound like distance is you problem, maybe you experience this problem with lots of interference and multiple devices using wireless capabilities. Change environments and test it to cancel this out
- besides being an earpiece, have you tried a speaker or watch to see what the results are?

Maybe you've answered some, all or none of these questions, but these would be where I'd start to figure out where the root of the problem is.

Too many variables to diagnose without controlling the environment, so I'm going to throw out some ideas and hopefully one of them helps your issue.

- is your bluetooth device's firmware up to date?
- have you tried a different brand/device and experience similar results?
- is your iOS updated?
- while it doesn't sound like distance is you problem, maybe you experience this problem with lots of interference and multiple devices using wireless capabilities. Change environments and test it to cancel this out
- besides being an earpiece, have you tried a speaker or watch to see what the results are?

Maybe you've answered some, all or none of these questions, but these would be where I'd start to figure out where the root of the problem is.

Thanks for the ideas. And I always keep my firmware up to date as well as the iOS. I'm even in the beta testers group but have had this issue before I started. Interference is a really good thought- but have ruled this out because it's happened on more than one occasion while I'm alone in the woods.
And your other point was good as well- about it being an earpiece device issue. I do often use a Bose external BT speaker that I can use as a speakerphone. Same issue.
I've tried to get Apple to own this issue because I do believe it's an issue with the routing of audio from the phone to the device. But so far no luck. I'm just really surprised that more people do not report this issue. But it seems as if I'm the only one. And that would point back to me.
Thanks for all your ideas!

Just a guess here but I understand why you turn off the BT audio commands in favor of Siri, but maybe that confuses the BT device. Try it with them on and see if the problem continue.