What's new

Before buying a new/second hand device online

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a lot of users and consumers may already know, Apple’s line of iOS devices are one of the most highly demanded devices worldwide. Everyone’s heard of the iPhone, the iPad, the iPod Touch and all of Apple’s gadgetry. We also are highly aware of the price tag that comes with these devices, particularly the MSRP that many consumers have to pay for in full or finance because the notion of a discounted device with a cellular contract is not applicable to where they live. Or, users are in the midst of their contracts and would like to introduce the iPhone or iPad into their cellular usage.

iOS 7 and the new Apple ID authentication

As many users and consumers are aware of as well, iOS 7 has been introduced to the public on September 18[SUP]th[/SUP]/19[SUP]th[/SUP]. With this gateway update for Apple, iOS 7 has also introduced a new measure of security of iCloud, specifically the Find My iPhone feature as well as the AppleID authentication feature upon restoring a device that did not have its iCloud account logged/signed out of.

Background

For those that are unaware of what this new measure brings about, essentially, if you buy a device from another user (on iOS 7) and you attempt to restore the device, you will be asked to sign in to the previous owner’s AppleID in order to gain access to the device at all. Yes, this includes a fresh restore of iOS. Unlike its predecessor, iOS 7 will not allow a user access to the device until you sign in with the previously logged AppleID. This leads to users paying for expensive paperweights because the previous user is either a scammer that wants to make your life miserable and probably also wants to take advantage of their insurance by reporting their device lost.

Precautions/Steps To Take

The staff of iPhone, iPad and Apple Forums would like for our users to take caution in buying their devices to avoid being scammed or misled. The following points should be observed when purchasing a device, especially if the purchase is made through the internet and is second handed.
  1. One of the safest measures in buying electronics, is to buy them when they’re factory sealed, meaning untouched devices. If it’s sealed, no one has used it yet, no AppleIDs have been logged for that device, and you have assurance that you can use your device. Now, even if the device is claimed to be sealed, there is still a level of risk to it as there are machines that can rewrap the box in the same fashion.
  2. If the device is unsealed in any way (do not take the buyer’s word that the device was just unwrapped to look at, and was never turned on), it’s best to not purchase the device unless you are meeting the seller up in person.
  3. If you still decide to buy a device online, it’s best to purchase your device using a medium such as eBay or Amazon. Or, purchase a refurbished device through Apple or electronic giants. You’d want this medium so that you’re guaranteed that your device is up and running. If something is wrong with the device, you can always return it. In the case of eBay or Amazon, if you’re not satisfied, return it to eBay or Amazon, they will reimburse you with the cost of the transaction, and they will chase the seller for the reimbursement and then some.
  4. If possible, get the device on an older iOS, then upgrade yourself. That way, you’ll be certain of the fact that when restoring, you will not have issues. Note that this is only a failsafe on Wifi-only devices. Cellular devices still run the risk of having bad IMEI/ESN.
  5. Most importantly, for iPhones and cellular iPads, you MUST request an IMEI picture. Yes, picture of the IMEI number. Picture, not screenshot, a good old fashioned picture. Have that person take a picture of the IMEI on the phone with a phrase of your choice written on a piece of paper.

**What’s the reasoning? It tells you one of two things. One, you’re aware that the user is not just taking another picture from another device being sold online and using it as their “proof”. By having a slip of paper with your choice of phrase written on it within the picture, you’ll know that it’s taken in real time. Two, with the IMEI in the picture, you can check the IMEI online (there are quite a few free sources that you can use). If the IMEI and ESN are clean and are not registered with a carrier currently, that makes the offer one step closer to being made.
  6. If you purchase a device through a physical meeting, it’s best to do it at a supported carrier store. Example, if you’re buying an iPhone or cellular iPad that works for carrier X, meet up and use/activate the device with a representative at the local store to ensure that the device is working, then pay the seller for the device. If they have nothing to hide, and the transaction is legitimate, they will not object to you activating or paying half first for the device.

Feel free to add on any tips that you think should be made aware for buyers. We will keep this checklist updated if anything is missed or any new changes occur.

Last edited:
I returned my iPhone4 on iOS7 to Verizon for a "rebate". I was conscious of the fact that I had to turn OFF "Find my iPhone" before restoring. I was still worried I had not done all I was supposed to before the return. Check and double check! Evidently all is good because I received my $100 credit/gift card.

In other words, let the above post also be good info to those that want to sell their device as well. Make sure you follow proper procedure to completely clear and restore your device!

hy all
i have troble
i buy iphone 4 second hand
but i have trouble to my iphone, I buy a used iphone 4 the problem is still linked with his iphone icloud previous user id the previous owner also forgot id icloudnya now it can not be used iphone blocked here by way of opening it by contacting parties directly apple I have no contact to contact apple because Indonesia does not exist,

please somebody help me

Apple will not help you with iCloud-locked devices. Unless the seller provides you with the password to the AppleID, your device is essentially a paperweight

Hello there! Im thinking of buying an iphone 5s second hand, can you give me some free site that i can make sure the iphone im buying is not in the blacklist or stolen? And if i buy it locked for example in usa and i want to use it in Portugal (im portuguese) is there a way i can unlocked to use it here?

I hope you can help, thank youu

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk

If you are going to meet someone and purchase an ios7 device have them remove their iCloud account and then perform a factory reset right in front of you. Meet them in a public place that provides free wifi so you can test the device out. If you are looking for an unlocked device through AT&T it's best to buy one that is already unlocked. AT&T is not handing unlocks out like candy anymore to new owners of used devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to bay to an iPhone 5s but here in Greece is to expensive , so can I have any site to ?! Thank you :)

Prices are universally equivalent in one way or another. If it's cheaper than the average price, then something's wrong.

If you are going to meet someone and purchase an ios7 device have them remove their iCloud account and then perform a factory reset right in front of you. Meet them in a public place that provides free wifi so you can test the device out. If you are looking for an unlocked device through AT&T it's best to buy one that is already unlocked. AT&T is not handing unlocks out like candy anymore to new owners of used devices.

small flaw with this as i had recently experienced. factory resetting an iphone in person can take HOURS to complete. i was actually late to meet up with a person because i thought i factory reset at home before meeting up to trade phones. big mistake. i plugged it into itunes and restored it prior to going. met in person, showed him phone, and gave him the option to factory reset again.

small flaw with this as i had recently experienced. factory resetting an iphone in person can take HOURS to complete. i was actually late to meet up with a person because i thought i factory reset at home before meeting up to trade phones. big mistake. i plugged it into itunes and restored it prior to going. met in person, showed him phone, and gave him the option to factory reset again.

If you go to settings and erase all content and settings it performs a factory reset and only takes a few minutes.

If you go to settings and erase all content and settings it performs a factory reset and only takes a few minutes.

Yup thats exactly what i did. Took an hour and was still going. Did a quick google search and they said it can take up to 3 hours and more

I've done it several times and takes less than 10 min

I guess we are both right depending on what device you have and how much info is on it. Straight from apple site.

When you select to "Erase All Content and Settings," the process can take from a few minutes to several hours. The time this process takes will vary by iOS device:

I guess we are both right depending on what device you have and how much info is on it. Straight from apple site.

When you select to "Erase All Content and Settings," the process can take from a few minutes to several hours. The time this process takes will vary by iOS device:

Yea definitely but safest bet is to do it beforehand other wise u might b stuck on a 3 hour date with a stranger Lol

Before purchase a second hand iPhone we must have to be sure that all iPhone parts are original or not? If we recognize it later then a great problem will arise.
That would be impractical to implement. The best practice is to buy a used device only from established sellers with a good reputation as well as checking to make sure that there is no iCloud Activation Lock on the device before handing over the payment.