What's new

Battery Life

yeah battery life for sure isnt the greatest, theres a couple things you can do tho
1. get a mophie pack (what i did)
2. turn off background app refresh
3. turn off location services
4. turn off wifi and/or bluetooth
5. turn screen brightness down
6. leave phone in airplane mode forever

yeah battery life for sure isnt the greatest, theres a couple things you can do tho
1. get a mophie pack (what i did)
2. turn off background app refresh
3. turn off location services
4. turn off wifi and/or bluetooth
5. turn screen brightness down
6. leave phone in airplane mode forever

I have been on iPhones since the iPhone 4S and my battery life has been over 30 hours, even after upgrading to iOS 7:
* I have location services always on
* I have WiFi always on
* I have never kept my phone in airplane mode

Just my $0.02.

Run with WiFi and Bluetooth on 24/7.
Locations services that are needed are on.
Screen brightness is on automatic with the base line preference set to full low when in a dark room.

Guess what, get 8 hours of usage time in a 24 hour run.

Battery life is about which applications you run, how good your cellular signal is and how good the WiFi singal is.

Battery life is about which applications you run, how good your cellular signal is and how good the WiFi singal is.
Could you elaborate a bit on why this is? We normally have a very good VZW signal, but Saturday evening we went to a class reunion out in the boonies. I was trying to keep up with the scores on our favorite college football team's game and the signal was nearly nonexistent. The battery was draining so fast that I had to just turn the phone off and check about every 15 minutes, or else I would have drained it in about half an hour.

Could you elaborate a bit on why this is? We normally have a very good VZW signal, but Saturday evening we went to a class reunion out in the boonies. I was trying to keep up with the scores on our favorite college football team's game and the signal was nearly nonexistent. The battery was draining so fast that I had to just turn the phone off and check about every 15 minutes, or else I would have drained it in about half an hour.

Going to use an analogy to explain this situation. Will break it down into two parts.

Part 1: The cell phone by itself

Imagine you are a cell phone. You see the cell tower two miles a way. You talk in your normal voice and the tower hears you just fine. As you walk closer you find that you can get down to a whisper and the tower still hears you. As you walk away, say to 20 miles, you have to scream at the top of your lungs for the tower to hear you.

This is what happens with a cellular radio. The amount of power you need to talk is directly proportional to the line of sight distance. You can go from as low as 1/8 watt of power all the way up to one watt of power to talk to the tower. As you add in things that block your line of sight to the tower, this adds to how much power you need to transmit to over come the blockage.

Part 2: The cell phone in a crowd.

You are still the cell phone. You are two miles away and you notice there are 100 people in a circle around this tower. You notice you have to talk slightly louder to get the tower to hear you now. As more people join you, the louder you need to speak for the tower to hear your.

Now the good news on this one you won't get to the full 1 watt of power, even in a very dense crowd, if you are close to the tower. But you will still use more power than if you were alone. In fact before you would go to full power you would probably be more likely not be able to talk to the tower until someone leaves. Towers can only handle so many signals at once.

Conclusion.

With all of this in mind you probably hit three conditions at once. Long distance to the tower, building with a lot of metal studs and a lot of active cell phones directly around you. Odds are you went to full power trying to maintain a connection to the tower. You can probably drain an iPhone in under 3, possibly 2, hours with that condition.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Very interesting. A clear explanation. And you're right about the conditions, maybe except for the number of phones - there were only about 40 of us in the immediate area, in a very small town. It was an old gymnasium converted to a multipurpose building. I know that my iPhone 4's battery doesn't have nearly the capacity it did 3 1/2 years ago. It's seen a lot of use. But that's okay because I've got a 5s on order. Thanks! :)

I have tried all the tips and tricks. Still having poor battery life since upgrading to iOS7. Several youtube videos are also aimed at apple directly begging them to fix the issue..... You are not alone, there are thousands of us reporting battery life issues.

did I violate the forum rules? I had posted a link in the OP and it's not there anymore. Guess I'm not allowed to post third party links?

or maybe I just completely forgot to add the link.

Last edited:
i unplugged my iPhone 5 this morning at about 9:00AM and then went to work and used it off and on all day at work then when it got to about 18-20% i used my mophie juice pack to charge it back to about 85% and its at 18% again here at 10:30
so after about 13 hours of usage I've used around 160% battery life. seems to me that the battery is dying so fast on this phone with iOS 7.
i always have wifi on, location services on, bluetooth on and screen brightness about 80%.