What's new

Battery life?

FunkatronJive

Reaction score
Ive read that the battery life on the iPhone4 is really great... on my blackberry by the end of the night the battery would be red... if we went away for the day to the city (3hr drive away) I would have to REALLY limit my usage otherwise it would be dead on the way home...

I unplugged my iphone from charging this morning at 5:30am... listened to xm online for 45 min (pressed the button on the top to put it to sleep the whole time) and then checked my messages about 5 times today (there was only 3 messages) then I checked facebook twice....

Is it good, or even normal that with ONLY the activity I mentioned above that by 4pm there is only 64% battery life left? I mean, I was busy at work so I probably normally would check my phone more often then that.... and if we go to the city I would be checking facebook and messages the whole way down....

I reduced the brightness level at lunchtime and constantly put it in sleep mode... is there anything else I can do to save battery life? My Blackberry could be locked (like sleep mode) and also be put in standby mode..... is there anything like standby mode for when I am at work (the connection at work is HORRIBLE and seemed to drainmy blackberry.

Hi Ive had my iphone 4 for about 2 weeks now. At first it seemed like the battery life wasn't that great. I would definitely have to charge it at the end of the day. That said after several cycles of having it drop to 20% before charging I found that the battery life has improved quite a bit.

I typically play a few games on my phone throughout the day. Do some browsing and maybe a couple of youtube videos. Texting and a few calls etc.

what Ive done is this. I shut off my wifi unless Im in a hotspot so most of the day its off. Also reduced the brightness to half. Airplane mode off. And that's about it. In a 24 hr period my battery is now at 70% So at this rate I figure Im good to go charging the phone every other day.

You could also turn off your location services under general tab, and notifications.

Hopefully switching off some of these will help your battery life issue. Im a former blackberry user myself, though with my curve I could go a couple of days before the battery would have to be charged.

hope this helps

from what I have read about battery life it seems that allowing the battery to fully drain at least once a month makes it more efficient. I also invested in the auto charger so I can charge my phone on the go if necessary and that works very well on trips etc..

Ive read that the battery life on the iPhone4 is really great... on my blackberry by the end of the night the battery would be red... if we went away for the day to the city (3hr drive away) I would have to REALLY limit my usage otherwise it would be dead on the way home...

I unplugged my iphone from charging this morning at 5:30am... listened to xm online for 45 min (pressed the button on the top to put it to sleep the whole time) and then checked my messages about 5 times today (there was only 3 messages) then I checked facebook twice....

Is it good, or even normal that with ONLY the activity I mentioned above that by 4pm there is only 64% battery life left? I mean, I was busy at work so I probably normally would check my phone more often then that.... and if we go to the city I would be checking facebook and messages the whole way down....

I reduced the brightness level at lunchtime and constantly put it in sleep mode... is there anything else I can do to save battery life? My Blackberry could be locked (like sleep mode) and also be put in standby mode..... is there anything like standby mode for when I am at work (the connection at work is HORRIBLE and seemed to drainmy blackberry.

What kind of blackberry did you have? My wife has a curve and she only needs to charge it every few days and she's constantly on Facebook! Lol. Even a quick half hour charge when the battery is red will last all day.

As for the iPhone battery. The best way to save life is turn of wifi when not in use. Turn of mobile data when not in use or using wifi. No point in having both on. If your getting a rubbish data signal turn 3G off. This way you can still use the Internet and it's probably just as fast on a good edge signal than a weak 3G one. Always lock your phone when not using it and use auto brightness. I find auto lock can make you lazy and wait for it to lock itself therefore wasting battery...

Last edited:
I keep putting my brightness settings down and my husband changes them on me..... I have now turned off wi-fi and 3G when not in use or needed....

ALSO, i figured out how to kill the applications running in the background... OMG, I had every single application and setting running that I have touched since I got the phone 6 days ago.... hopefully this helps my battery life!

The apps that are in your bottom bar shouldn't be draining your battery after about five minutes of exiting them. The only ones that do would be apps like the one's that use your gps or play music in the background...

The apps that are in your bottom bar shouldn't be draining your battery after about five minutes of exiting them. The only ones that do would be apps like the one's that use your gps or play music in the background...

Well arent they all the multi tasking ones? I always thought itwas weird that I just press the home button to get out of my internet and when I go back in, it has the last page I was on still up.

I never have music on, but I do have the location services switched on for 4 things...

Phone came off the charger at 5:30am, and its now 1pm.. barely touched my phone yet its already at 87%.. I dont know if thats good or not yet....

I was starting to get annoyed with the battery life. 3G would suck it fast. Changing to Edge helped but needed more. I now have Blackberry Bold 9780 as my primary and i4 as a multimedia device to bring with me. I use the blackberry alot and as of right now it has been off charge for 48 hrs and and still has 38% left. Obvoiusly touchscreens drain it more.

Well arent they all the multi tasking ones? I always thought itwas weird that I just press the home button to get out of my internet and when I go back in, it has the last page I was on still up.

I never have music on, but I do have the location services switched on for 4 things...

Phone came off the charger at 5:30am, and its now 1pm.. barely touched my phone yet its already at 87%.. I dont know if thats good or not yet....

The multitasking bar doesn't really put apps in the background it pauses them. After about 5 minutes or so it shuts them off to save battery (there are exceptions)

For example if your playing a game and you get a text you can read it reply and go back to exactly where you left off (if the game supports it). If you come out of the app and lock your phone or decide to do something else for a longer period of time when you go back to the game it has to load up all over again. So the games not really running in the background its just in the bar because you've used it since turning your phone on...