What's new

battery case kills signal

buzzz

Reaction score
hi
I bought a battery case for my iPhone 4S.. when I mount it on, my signal bar is okay and working. when I turn it on, the iPhone starts charging, but the signal bar disappears, and shows NO SERVICE. very unpractical :/ any thoughts?

thanks in advance

That's a first. I've had my share of a variety of battery cases and never seen this issue before. Which particular case are we talking about here?

Must be the incipio offgrid. I have this case as well and my signal is impacted big time whenever I turn the case on to charge my iPhone 4.

I use the Mophie Juice Pack, it has no effect on my signal strength.

Might it be the bracing from the case? I used to use an Arachnophobia case on my 4S, where if I tighten the grip on the "wifi area" of the phone, it would dip my wifi reception even though I'm sitting right next to my router. But I don't think that would be the case for signal, sine that's on the antennae no?

iBlason, Mophie, Targus and XtremeMac haven't given me any problems other than not giving me the amount of battery life I'm looking for :p

It could be metal pieces in the case that are interfering with the signal.

It could be metal pieces in the case that are interfering with the signal.

That also played a part with the Arachnophobia case. I modded it with slightly thicker aluminum pieces and it killed my wifi. If I laxed the hold, it would make it a little better, but nonetheless, still kills the wifi signal, so that's just sitting in a box in storage.

But I don't think there's a metallic battery case for the iPhone AFAIK since most creators would like to keep it as light as possible as the battery itself does add bulk and weight already

Might be a hardware incompatibility. Then again, it might be the hardware itself. I would try restoring your device and see if that helps. If that doesn't return it and get a guaranteed battery case.

My battery case duplicates the same effect. My signal only dips whenever I cut the case ON.
I have the incipio offgrid case.