What's new

Battery after latest update

cyndeeeca

Reaction score
Seems my battery is worse then ever. No calls yet and battery is down 11% ...... Anyone else having an issue?? Anyone know how to fix this?

Seems my battery is worse then ever. No calls yet and battery is down 11% ...... Anyone else having an issue?? Anyone know how to fix this?

Yes I had this issue and was advised because I'd done an update let your battery drain completely before recharging to recalibrate it. So yesterday I drained it by using games on my phone until at 2% then left it and it switched itself off. I then put it on charge. Today I've used it and it's still at 100%. Looking at the usage screen it shows. 20 minutes usage and 4 hours 21 stand by.

027d2b39-92b2-4e9e.jpg

Seems pretty good so far I suggest you do the same.

iHolophyte

So burn it right down to nothing and recharge?

Is this what is known as a full cycle recharge?

So burn it right down to nothing and recharge?

Is this what is known as a full cycle recharge?

I've heard of the full recycle and not sure if this is that. I've never done anything to my battery since buying the phone over 6 months ago. So maybe this complete drain is needed every now and again.

iHolophyte

I've heard of the full recycle and not sure if this is that. I've never done anything to my battery since buying the phone over 6 months ago. So maybe this complete drain is needed every now and again.

iHolophyte

Yes it is referred to as a full cycle charge, and I was told by an Apple store employee to do it once a month. Anything below 20% is considered full cycle, I personally take mine to 5% or lower once a week and charge overnight.

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

i took mine down to 1% and I see no difference. i think this varies from phone to phone.

I let my 4S completely discharge once a month. Then do a full recharge.

The update has made no difference. I think it's just something apple tell us.

The update has made no difference. I think it's just something apple tell us.

It's not what apple tell us lol. Look at my post up there. Without doing it after 4 hours 25 mins standby I'd have lost at least 10% but on the pic now I've done the full discharge recharge it was still at 100%.

Usage is now 3 hours
Standby 8 hours 35 mins and still 85% battery.

iHolophyte

I'll have to give the full cycle battery charge a try again, I do this weekly, because I also find the battery to drain much faster with 5.1 update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please note that a full cycle charge has to be done from 100% down to below 20%. (no short term charging in between).

You cannot plug it in at 40% then unplug it, let it drain then charge to 100%. Well you can......it just wouldn't be considered a full cycle charge. Dats all.

It has to drain straight from 100% down to below 20%. Without being plugged in.

So before your about to do a charge cycle, make sure your at 100% full capacity, then let it drain (I drain mine as low as I can before the unit shuts off, round 2%), and do not plug it in while your trying to drain it or the cycle will be interrupted.

I would go to do a full cycle charge but it would be really low before I go to bed, so I would plug it in and let charge 10-15% so it would be really low by the time I went to bed instead of 2 hours b4 I went to bed. But it gave me no results.

When I just let it drain w/o plugging it in at all from 100% then let it charge all the way back to 100%, that's when I noticed the difference.

Last edited:
Something I noticed. I performed a reset on both 4s's last night and both were showing a 3-5% increase in battery life when the rebooted. Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

Yes it is referred to as a full cycle charge, and I was told by an Apple store employee to do it once a month. Anything below 20% is considered full cycle, I personally take mine to 5% or lower once a week and charge overnight.

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

Exactly - almost always let it run down to 5% - sometimes 1-2 % where practical, and then give it a full recharge. So far thats given me 40+ hrs light usage / 25- 35 hrs moderate usage. Certainly I haven't noticed any appreciable downside to the battery since iOS 5.1 and that includes turning on virtually ALL the Location Services for my apps and TimeZone update as well. Still running about 35-40 hrs on avg before needing a full recharge or roughly every 2 calender days.

Yes, mine is dropping around 1% for each text I send. I've allowed the phone to drain the battery until its dead, did a complete recharge, then hard boot twice.... Still no difference....