What's new

Backing up current ios and baseband

wingzfan61

Reaction score
Ive gone through the searches but just wanna make sure I do this right. If I make a backup in iTunes will that allow me to restore my phone with its current ios even if a new one comes out?

Im on 5.0.1, I want to have a way to reload it if 5.1 comes out and apple stops signing 5.0.1. I tend to mess with stuff alot and sometimes need a full restore but dont wanna get stuck upgrading

Also, I want to backup my baseband in case musclenerd creates an unlock for it.

So basically whats the best way to do the above. Thanks for any help

If you want to save your BaseBand, create a custom restore file with Redsn0w(PC) or Pwnage Tool(Mac).

Ok so can I create a custom ispw of 5.0.1 before 5.1 comes out? Im on a 4s btw. I just wanna make sure if I need to do a full restore I can do so without being upgraded to 5.1

Ok so can I create a custom ispw of 5.0.1 before 5.1 comes out? Im on a 4s btw. I just wanna make sure if I need to do a full restore I can do so without being upgraded to 5.1

1. You can create a custom restore file anytime on almost any iOS.

2. When 5.1 is released, just make a custom restore file with it and then you can upgrade safely.

No, you cannot create a custom restore for the iPhone 4S (and the iPad2, BTW - the A5 processor devices) ... at this time. If you upgrade to iOS 5.1 or higher, you will forever lose the opportunity to install and run iOS 5.0.1, which is the version that has a jail break.

And, backups in iTunes have naught to do with firmware versions. Restoring from a backup does not change your phone back to a previous iOS.

Until (if?) a way is found to either use blobs or create custom IPSWs for the A5 devices - the only thing you can do, after Apple releases the next firmware, is to make sure NOT to upgrade. There is no way back. So, be careful with your jail breaks, folks.

Marilyn

No, you cannot create a custom restore for the iPhone 4S (and the iPad2, BTW - the A5 processor devices) ... at this time. If you upgrade to iOS 5.1 or higher, you will forever lose the opportunity to install and run iOS 5.0.1, which is the version that has a jail break.

And, backups in iTunes have naught to do with firmware versions. Restoring from a backup does not change your phone back to a previous iOS.

Until (if?) a way is found to either use blobs or create custom IPSWs for the A5 devices - the only thing you can do, after Apple releases the next firmware, is to make sure NOT to upgrade. There is no way back. So, be careful with your jail breaks, folks.

Marilyn

Exactly the answer I was looking for. Ok so should anything go wrong (recently winterboard stopped acknowledging themes) I cant start over on 5.0.1 if 5.1 drops. Kinda sucks so hopefully theres a way to get around that soon.