What's new

Back Plate replacement?

TN22Corps

Reaction score
Hey folks, new to the forum. I didn't notice a particular "repair sub-forum" to post this in.

Awhile back I dropped my iphone 4 (Verizon) into water, quickly retrieved it, and put in a bag of rice for a couple days. Certain features didn't work immediately, but came back eventually.

Now, the back plate is peeling up from the top of the phone. Lint, dust, etc. get in and distort the camera and flash. I found a site with replacement backs "CNN". Is it that easy? Just unscrew, slide out, and replace? Or will I need to replace the camera flash and/or diffuser?

Camera works fine, however, when I use the flash it produces a smoky/foggy effect.

All guidance and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

not for sure if that exact one will match the little trap door covers on the bottom, but ebay is where to find this and not spend an arm and a leg

you could also find those plastic pieces and fix them with epoxy.

i actually have a back plate (aluminum one) replacement on the way from CNN.CN as we speak so hopefully it'll be here in by the end of the week or next week and ill let you know how easy it is but it looks simple

i also have the aluminum backplate from cnn.cn it took about a minute to install and looks better then the stock black back. I think i paid like 13 bucks the only thing that sucks is it takes about 2 weeks to get the parts from cnn.cn .

heres some pics for reference..

100_5240.jpg

100_5231.jpg

yeah i received my tracking information that it had been sent out for shipping on sept 2 and i just check today on the tracking and it says it has just been accepted into the Hong Kong mail on sept 8 so I'm thinking it'll probably take about another week to actually receive it which really suck but you could always pay for the faster shipping i guess

as for garret my question to you how is the feel compared to the OEM glass back because the glass back always felt slippery to me and i was always afraid i was going to drop it

as for garret my question to you how is the feel compared to the OEM glass back because the glass back always felt slippery to me and i was always afraid i was going to drop it

to be quite honest its about the same. i did go with one that had beveled edges and it feels alot better in the hand so it is easier to hold on to which helps.

ive been thinking on getting a bumper for it but i dont want it to take away from the current look of the phone.

yeah i was wondering if there would be much of a difference but i also got the one thats beveled in hopes it would add a little thickness and add grip to the phone

as for the apple store installing new back plates i didnt know they would do that i figured it would void your warranty if you replaced the backplate

yeah i was wondering if there would be much of a difference but i also got the one thats beveled in hopes it would add a little thickness and add grip to the phone

as for the apple store installing new back plates i didnt know they would do that i figured it would void your warranty if you replaced the backplate

its only about 1 mm thicker then stock its really not noticable. All my old cases still work with the new back. They are slightly tighter but they still work fine. Im not sure if a hardcase would still work as all i have are soft cases. Bumpers also still fit just fine.

If apple replaces the backplate with one of their OEM backplates it wont void your warranty. They will not put on a aftermarket back for you.

I'd like to replace my factory black front and back cover with white one's. Will that void my warranty?? I'm guessing yes but dont know for sure.

Did you consider changing the front screen as well?
I had a look at a youtube video that show's you how and OMG....there is so much involved and so many screws to undo. I think I'll be giving it a miss or getting someone who know's what they are doing to do it for me.

Did you consider changing the front screen as well?
I had a look at a youtube video that show's you how and OMG....there is so much involved and so many screws to undo. I think I'll be giving it a miss or getting someone who know's what they are doing to do it for me.

yeah its pretty involved ive done a few for friends but if you just take your time and go at it slowly while following the video you should be okay. and yes it will void your warranty but its always reversible all you need to do is change the plates back to the originals if you need to take it in for something.