What's new

Automatic switching from wifi to 3G

BocataDeChoped

Reaction score
I've been noticing that whenever I unlock my iPhone at work/home it switches from 3G to wifi. I've googled the issue a bit and it looks like that's an OS feature designed to increase battery duration. My question is, what happens if I receive a FaceTime/Viber call for instance? Which network is going to be used to deliver the call, 3G or wifi?

BTW this is my first post so hi to everybody!

Hi, welcome to iPhoneForums. I'm Jon.

Please take some time to peruse the IPF Rules: iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

Here are some guides that may suit your needs.

Forum Report Post System Tutorial (Please Read)

iPhone Tips & Tricks

What is jailbreaking?

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure

Understanding and Utilizing RedSn0w

Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on this iOS/Jailbreak Status Thread

My particular field of expertise is iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking.

It'll use 3G/data when you receive it, since your phone is primarily on 3G/data on standby unless Wifi is the only data connection available.

If you are logged into a WiFi account - that FaceTime/Viber call will be on your WiFi. The phone turns off WiFi when it's "asleep" (unless its plugged in). But, when you wake it, and it was actively on a WiFi signal when it went to sleep - it will take the call via WiFi as the phone will automatically connect back to the WiFi.

Marilyn

EDIT TO ADD: The initial incoming data call will be detected by your 3G connection. But, once you activate the phone to take the call, it will switch to WiFi to use that data first. Unless you turn off WiFi, it will always override 3G once the phone is awake. Just to clarify...

I thought it may be that way but I needed confirmation. Just switched from my old Galaxy S to the iPhone and I'm still adjusting to the device. Thanks for the info guys!