What's new

Apple wins another patent victory in Germany

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Motorola-Vs-Apple1.png

Very recently Apple gained an important victory against one of its biggest competitors – Samsung. This week the tech giant won another battle. A Munich based court decided that Motorola Mobility was guilty of infringing an Apple held patent.

The patent in question is referred to as “overscroll bounce” or “rubber-banding” and is used in interface animation. For the moment there will be no explicit measures taken towards Motorola because Apple has first to request the ban on Motorola products that use the technology.

Patent expert Florian Muller, who initially posted the information on the FossPatents blogs, claimed that Apple will surely be willing to ensure a German sales ban on Motorola products by paying 25 million Euros to see it happen. Nevertheless Muller thinks that Motorola isn’t in deep waters just yet:

"Motorola doesn't have to look far for a workaround: stock Android (the version of Android that Google makes available for download) comes with a glow effect instead of the overscroll bounce."

Google and Motorola Mobility are expected to appeal the decision at the Munich Higher Regional Court to try to revoke Apple's patent at the European Patent Office, arguing that it should never have been granted to begin with.

By Radu

Source: FOSS Patents: German court hands Apple rubber-banding patent injunction against Google's Motorola Mobility

These stupid lawsuits aren't helping Apple win any of the informed smartphone crowd. When I look for for a new phone, this lawsuit is another mark against Apple.

Sent from my HTC One S

These stupid lawsuits aren't helping Apple win any of the informed smartphone crowd. When I look for for a new phone, this lawsuit is another mark against Apple.

Sent from my HTC One S

Each to their own but nothing would put me off buying apple products except if they sold products that were inferior and lets face it that's never gonna happen!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Each to their own but nothing would put me off buying apple products except if they sold products that were inferior and lets face it that's never gonna happen!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

So, if Apple killed puppies in a secret room in their factory, you'd still buy the iPhone 5?;)

Sent from my HTC One S

Mr.Mischief said:
So, if Apple killed puppies in a secret room in their factory, you'd still buy the iPhone 5?;)

Sent from my HTC One S

If I had eggs, I could have eggs and bacon if I had bacon.