What's new

Apple Watch will Apparently Ship with Diagnostics Port

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
IuR1e4F.jpg
IuR1e4F.jpg
Last Friday the Apple Watch became available for pre-order along with try-on appointments at retail Apple Store locations. One reader over at MacRumors was able to go in, try on the Watch, and noticed that a strange port is still on the device.

First reported by TechCrunch back in March, the port is located underneath one of the fasteners used for watchbands. Although it hasn't been confirmed what the port is used for, most assume that Apple professionals would use it for running diagnostics tests on the Watch. This could easily be the reason why the port is still included in retail versions.

The MacRumors tipster was told by the Apple employee at his try-on appointment that he or she received no official training for the port. Previous reports claimed that Apple might be saving the port, for either first-party or third-party accessories, like "smart" bands or other things that could interface with the Apple Watch.

I've seen photos that show Apple watches with a blanking cover blocking this diagnostic port. I'll check mine when it arrives to see which version I get.
Here's a photo showing a covered diagnostic port.
image.jpg