What's new

Apple Was Warned About iOS 6 Maps Issues

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
8398-ios-6-maps-complaints.JPG

CNET reports today that Apple was warned by developers that its in-house version of Maps had some serious flaws, prior to its release, but it went ahead and released it anyway. CNET said that from the moment developers got their first build of the app back in June, they were notifying Apple of all the app’s issues, via bug request forms. They even sent emails to specific Apple employees, and left postings about their misgivings on message boards that would be viewed by other developers and Apple. “I posted at least one doomsayer rant after each (developer) beta, and I wasn’t alone,” a developer with three iOS apps to his name told CNET. “The mood amongst the developers seemed to be that the maps were so shockingly bad that reporting individual problems was futile.” CNET says that it heard similar stories from six developers, all of whom wished to remain anonymous. The news that Apple was well aware of the problems makes it even stranger that it went ahead and released the Maps app in its flawed state. Would be very interesting to hear Apple’s take on this, but as usual, it’s not commenting.

Source: Developers: We warned Apple about iOS maps quality | Apple - CNET News

That's funny, the same app just took me to the door step of a house that was wedged between two 800 acre corn fields with no issues. Huh?

Unless Google turns loose with the turn by turn option for IOS it really wont matter. I am using Waze currently and will give the app another chance when they make the necessary updates to the app.

Apple should just keep improving the map and not take their eye off the ball with other needed advances like wireless charging!!!! Oh yea! I use a navigator app anyway, lets GO APPLE and blow this android nonsense out the water!

its really shameful on their part that inspite of knowing the flaws in iOS 6 map and advance warning by its iPhone developers still they let its released in problem status.they should be ashamed of it.

I use the app daily to travel in three states and I have yet for it to lead me wrong.

horsehaulin said:
I use the app daily to travel in three states and I have yet for it to lead me wrong.

This is what I've been wondering. How many people who use mapping have found real issues with Apple Maps. Street view is all very pretty and it might be useful for some people, but in real world situations, getting from A to B? In my experience, it performs flawlessly, in parts of the country that can only qualify as wilderness.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

I agree it has worked perfect for me, better experience than my droidx wanting me to do uturns all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I would guess I use it 125 miles a day. No issues or complaints.

An issue with a GPS or App can typically be resolved with common sense. For example. I had a driver hit two cars one month to the day apart. The reason? The vehicles operators where listening to voice navigation and turned left when told too. Problem with that is they were in the right lane of a three lane road and did not look before turning in front if one of my tow trucks from the right lane! The root of the problem was not the App on their phones, but the lack of common sense of the operator.

No man made device or program will ever be perfect. This is their first run, and I think it's better than Googles first through fifth updates. Heck, I reported so many problems on Google I anticipated a problem for the first three months I used it. Google Maps is good now, but its taken a while to get there.