What's new

Apple TV Rumored to Get Overhauled & Announced in June

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Apple_TV_2nd_Generation.jpg

According to the latest from the rumor-mill out of Cupertino, Apple may be planning on a newly updated Apple TV with a complete overhaul. Industry sources suggest this newly improved Apple TV device will be announced at Apple's World Wide Developers Conference this June. There's no word on if the new version would stick to the new $69 dollar price that Apple recently dropped the Apple TV down to (from $99).

It's possible the new version will cost $99, while the old version will stay at $69 until supply runs out. In fact, it's not hard to speculate that this was precisely the biggest reason that Apple lowered the price of the Apple TV, (on top of the extra PR factor from the HBO Now announcement). Of course, this would also go well with the recently rumored Apple TV Streaming service, as a new box would go hand-in-hand with new service.

What do you guys think? Will a completely revised Apple TV make even more headway in the market?

Source: IGN

I was thinking that Apple dropped the price on the current model for the sole purpose of moving their stock to make way for the new models. I'm also wondering if the new Apple TV will be a full television (complete with display) rather than a stand-alone box.

I was thinking that Apple dropped the price on the current model for the sole purpose of moving their stock to make way for the new models. I'm also wondering if the new Apple TV will be a full television (complete with display) rather than a stand-alone box.
The rumours of Apple producing a TV receiver have been around for years, we'll just have to wait and see.

The rumours of Apple producing a TV receiver have been around for years, we'll just have to wait and see.
The only thing that would worry me, were Apple to make a full receiver, would be the price increase due to the type/size of display. But, as you've said, we'll have to wait and see.

My thoughts are it's going to be another APTV without DD-TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and MKV support and is still locked to iTunes. There's nothing else they can do to make it worth paying for this new device if you already own an older one. There's plenty of other media boxes in the $100-$200 price range that do what it can and more. I think Apple missed the boat, by a long way, in this area. :)