What's new

Apple Supposedly Developing Holographic iPhone Display in Secret Taiwan Lab

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iphone-hologram.jpg

Earlier this week, @Maura posted an interesting story regarding a supposedly secret new Taiwanese lab owned by Apple. According to the story, this high-tech lab will be developing more advanced OLED displays for future iPhone devices. We have a follow-up story that just came in this morning which suggests they are developing display technology even more advanced than that in this new lab.

According to the intel, Apple is working on an advanced holographic display at this "secret" lab. If true, that means that an iPhone projecting a Star Wars-like hologram might not be too far in the distant future. Here's a quote with a few more of the details,

The interesting part of this story is that the same micro-LED display that Apple is rumored to be working on, is the catalyst behind the holographic screen. Using specialized software and hardware, the micro-LED technology can allow iPhone users to view holographs that are visible to the naked eye.

This is not science fiction. Using a micro-LED projector, display producer Ostendo demonstrated some of the concepts behind the holographic screen in a video from 2014. ~ PhoneArena

You can see the Ostendo demonstration in a video we included in the thread below. Of course, if this turns out to be true, it could still be years away before the technology can be mass produced for a consumer level iPhone product. We might not see it until the iPhone 9 or 10 becomes a reality. Either way, it's exciting to imagine the possibilities of what a holographic iPhone might be capable of!

I'm kinda shocked Apple hasn't adopted and used a 3D screen like the Nintendo 3DS. The 3DS can be 3D or 2D, which is user selectable. Like 3D, turn it on, don't like it, shut it off.

I was shocked and stunned when I played the 3DS at Best Buy, it was really 3D to the naked eye!!

I turned Dynamic Wallpaper off to save battery, I have a feeling, that although I would like this feature, ultimately, I would also turn it off.