What's new

Apple Issues Statement on Maps Issues

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
8398-ios-6-maps-complaints.JPG

AppleInsider reports that following on from the deluge of complaints reverberating around social media about Apple’s new in-house Maps app, which has replaced Google’s iOS Maps app, Apple has now issued a statement via spokesperson Trudy Miller, to AllThingsD, saying the following:

Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service ... We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation, and Siri integration. We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better.

Granted any new software is bound to have teething troubles, but I’m really surprised that Apple released Maps if it still had so many issues. Lots of people worldwide really have come to rely on their Maps app to get around, I'm sure that many of us have, so to suddenly find that they don’t have it has been the reason for many of the complaints. Meanwhile, if you fancy a little chuckle, then The Huffington Post has a slideshow of photos that show some of the biggest gaffs of the new app.

Source: Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'
10 Funniest Fails In Apple's iOS Maps App (PHOTOS)

Apple Maps app failed to show correct directions. Current Apple Maps app is buggy i got one problem is that it doesn't have any public transportation information, routes in it like Google Maps had.

This is one draw back for me deciding on moving to iPhone from droid.

Hopefully they clean up the app soon.

The Maps is the only negative regarding IOS 6. Overall I love the update.

The Maps is the only negative regarding IOS 6. Overall I love the update.

Thanks for the info.

I am an android user Samsung galaxy nexus . I am almost ready to order my iPhone 5....just researching more on this forum on the pro vs con

Excellent article in the New York Times pointing out that this may be the beginning of Apple peaking like Microsoft peaked when they became too defensive about the product rather than innovating. With Steve Jobs gone and Apple's corporate structure taking over, the decline will be slow but inevitable. Google seems to have a more flexible organization and may be able to keep innovating.
At any rate I thought forcing this crummy map program on us when I rely so heavily upon mapping in GPS was a rotten thing to do frankly. Rude. "Hey look over here at this slightly shinier phone. Don't look at those policies in-growing behind the curtain. Besides, another way I know they've peaked, I switched to iPhone this year from Blackberry which lasted only 5 years after finally switching there. Beware if I start using your product.

If you want google maps..add them back through Safari..and wait for Apple mapping to be perfected..and most folks know they will be perfected when all the dust settles..Some folks just need to get a grip about this..With all of the top notch turn by turn apps available..this one little thing with a otherwise stellar phone and OS is nothing to be so upset about..As to the Apple maps being buggy..I haven't found it so..and besides..being brand new it was bound to be a issue...hell...it's taken google 7 years to get them where they are..and had 5 years of issues where they were not even close to being accurate..for the vast majority of their users.

Use what is available for now...and give them some time to fix it..or..you can always get another make of phone if you absolutely positively have to have one..Me...with all of the various map apps I have and use..everything I need and then some is just a click away..

Mac

IMO, this little set back is not a big deal or a deal breaker. I am sure it will be updated and be bug free in a short time.

IMO, this little set back is not a big deal or a deal breaker. I am sure it will be updated and be bug free in a short time.
True, and we must remember that Google maps wasn't without its own faults when it was launched.

True, and we must remember that Google maps wasn't without its own faults when it was launched.

Also...it still isn't 100% perfect..regardless what some fans of the program say..

Why anyone who absolutely positively can't live or work with out using a true 99.9% accurate navigation device of some sort...aren't using a stand alone navigation device in the first place..Yes...I know full well how convenient it is not to have to rely on 1...but...use the best & correct tool for the job...and there won't be these issues in the first place...

On a foot note to all of this whorara over this...and this includes turn by turn navigation...sky views..or any other type of program...Learn how to read a real map..and plan your trip accordingly before you go....While this may seem to many of the younger generation as typical "old School mentality" dats very true...it is...but since I have been driving since 1963..and logged over 1200 miles my first year driving with my parents in the car..and now have well over a million miles under my belt driving just about everything with wheels on it..I can honestly say...if done properly to begin with...you won't have a need to be told when and where to turn..you will already know when your going and how to get there...and can pay attention to your driving ability...instead of your phone...

(sorry for the rant)

Mac

mdmcatee said:
Also...it still isn't 100% perfect..regardless what some fans of the program say..

Why anyone who absolutely positively can't live or work with out using a true 99.9% accurate navigation device of some sort...aren't using a stand alone navigation device in the first place..Yes...I know full well how convenient it is not to have to rely on 1...but...use the best & correct tool for the job...and there won't be these issues in the first place...

On a foot note to all of this whorara over this...and this includes turn by turn navigation...sky views..or any other type of program...Learn how to read a real map..and plan your trip accordingly before you go....While this may seem to many of the younger generation as typical "old School mentality" dats very true...it is...but since I have been driving since 1963..and logged over 1200 miles my first year driving with my parents in the car..and now have well over a million miles under my belt driving just about everything with wheels on it..I can honestly say...if done properly to begin with...you won't have a need to be told when and where to turn..you will already know when your going and how to get there...and can pay attention to your driving ability...instead of your phone...

(sorry for the rant)

Mac

+1

I'm a trucker and have been for nearly 30 years. Electronics are cool, but rely on them? No chance. If I had to have only one method of getting around it would be a hard copy atlas. I'd never rely on electronics. Even if the software is perfect, the damn thing could still fizzle out.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

I came from android and blackberry before that, I like the new apple maps. I've had less issues with it than I had with maps on my droid. It works.

Last time I used navigation on my Bionic it missed by about 2 miles. Google Maps is not perfect.

I remember one time in Phx using droid x google maps it had me do a u turn, I did, I went about a block and it had me do a u turn, I did and then in about a block it said to do another u turn...... Lol. We were still about a half mile away from the destination and late, that was classic!

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net