What's new

Apple iPhone 8 Could Have Curved OLED Display [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
flexible-phone-screens1.jpg

If the latest intel is true, then 2018 could be another banner year for Apple. According to the latest rumor, Apple has working with suppliers to get the development of flexible, curved OLED displays ready for the iPhone of that year. This could mean the iPhone 8 will likely have a curved display, and may even have a flexible design.

Here's a quote with more of the details,

According to an industry source, Apple is “serious” about transferring its flagship product lineup to one equipped with organic light-emitting diode (OLED), screens as those displays can solve its existing weak points such as color saturation, accuracy, and brightness.

The source added that if Apple releases an iPhone with an OLED-based flexible screen, it will create a huge market, as Apple has not yet used the technology in its flagship models.

Currently Apple applies flexible OLEDs to just the Apple Watch, the panels of which LG Display and Samsung Display supply.

“It is very likely that the first flexible iPhone may be introduced in 2018, as Apple's top-tier display suppliers are working on it,” the source said.

If true, this would be a huge change for the design and aesthetics of the iPhone. We included a random image of an artist's concept render of a curved iPhone above. What would you guys think of an iPhone like this?

Source: BusinessKorea

I'm interested to see how well this technology will transfer to real world use.

meh.. doesn't excite me. The curved concept might be amazing, but I think Apple could do something better than just a curved iPhone with that technology.

meh.. doesn't excite me. The curved concept might be amazing, but I think Apple could do something better than just a curved iPhone with that technology.
They actually might. It's possible they could make the iPhone 8 a flexible phone of some kind. How does a foldable, flip-style, iPhone sound?

I don't think they have the iPhone in mind at all. Can you imagine how far Apple could take the Apple Watch when the display isn't limited to a flat surface for the screen? This allows for a much larger display area being that it can be curved around the wrist.

They actually might. It's possible they could make the iPhone 8 a flexible phone of some kind. How does a foldable, flip-style, iPhone sound?
Well, it would certainly prevent another #bendgate.