What's new

Apple iPhone 7 Rumor Round-Up for January 2016

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iphone7-concept.jpg

The Apple iPhone 7 rumors have been flying like crazy over the past few months. While we expect to see info leak out regarding one of the hottest tech gadgets in the world, it's actually a bit surprising that there has been this much info so early.

Here's a quick round-up of every crazy (or not so crazy) rumor we have heard so far on the iPhone 7. We also included a brief editorial description on just how plausible the rumor seems at this time:
  1. Waterproof Design (possible and would be a welcome upgrade)
  2. Completely new form factor/aesthetic case design (unlikely - Apple typically likes to use the same basic structure of a popular design for at least a couple of years)
  3. Thinner with no headphone jack (the smart money would bet that this rumor is true)
  4. Bigger Battery (maybe, but we wouldn't count on it - see number three above)
  5. Wireless Charging (this has been rumored for the iPhone for several years but still never comes - we wouldn't hold our breath on this rumor, but also wouldn't be surprised if it finally showed up)
  6. More RAM (Considering Apple just finally upgraded to 2GB of RAM after years of holding back, we think this rumor is likely just wishful thinking)
  7. Dual Cameras for better pics (Apple likes to improve their pics without messing with MegaPixels too much, so this one seems probable)
  8. Improved A10 CPU (this one is a no-brainer, of course there will be a new Apple chip)
  9. Earlier release date (this one has come up enough times that it seems very possible - worth keeping an eye on)
Of courser, we might have missed some of the various iPhone 7 rumors. Feel free to add one that you think we should have included, and be sure to comment on which of these features have you excited.

Thanks for the round up! I passed on the 6s iPhone upgrade cycle, so I'm ready for the 7 to come out!

Hmm. I'm not sure how I feel about the no headphone jack possibility. Seems odd as every iphone in history has been delivered with headphones. I love my new bluetooth headphones, but it took a LONG time to find some I liked.

I also passed on the 6S -- but most of those "features" would be non issues for me. I doubt they'll do a waterproof one, and if it doesn't have a standard sized headphone jack I'll be pissed... even if it means a thinner phone. And assuming you do a thinner phone, I think it would be hard to go with a bigger battery :(

Cool stuff! I will also be up for renewal so I can't wait to get my iPhone 7.

I want to see that phone pictured above be the actual release...yeah fat chance but that thing is beautiful!

Ready for the 7, i also passed on the 6s upgrade. The wireless charging alone would be worth it for me.

I also passed on the 6S -- but most of those "features" would be non issues for me. I doubt they'll do a waterproof one, and if it doesn't have a standard sized headphone jack I'll be pissed... even if it means a thinner phone. And assuming you do a thinner phone, I think it would be hard to go with a bigger battery :(
Precisely. Getting rid of the headphone jack is why we commented that we don't think a bigger battery will show up either. Separately, if you take that into account, and its rumored thinness, that actually makes "waterproofing" slightly more likely.

The other advantage of getting rid of the headphone jack is that you can then include more digital software effects in music, since the Lightning Connector can handle that stuff, while the analog headphone jack has more limitations.

Hmm. I'm not sure how I feel about the no headphone jack possibility. Seems odd as every iphone in history has been delivered with headphones. I love my new bluetooth headphones, but it took a LONG time to find some I liked.

I bought a set of the Beats wireless headphones last month and have been extremely happy with them. I'm surprised how long they last between charges.

I'll be getting iPhone 7 whatever it brings but wireless charging would be nice.

Honestly the only thing that intrigues me is the headphone jack. I'd be okay with Apple pushing the whole industry to a digital headphone connection, rather than relying on the ol' analog we've been using forever. This could spice things up. Smart headphones anyone?
Waterproof would be nice, but I'm okay with not taking my phone into the shower, I get that it's mostly for accidental water spillage, but it's kind of nice that my iphone has SOME limitations on when I can use it.

That design in the photo REALLY makes me wish they would have the display go from edge to edge, without the need of a background. wishful thinking, i suppose.

Honestly the only thing that intrigues me is the headphone jack. I'd be okay with Apple pushing the whole industry to a digital headphone connection, rather than relying on the ol' analog we've been using forever. This could spice things up. Smart headphones anyone?
Waterproof would be nice, but I'm okay with not taking my phone into the shower, I get that it's mostly for accidental water spillage, but it's kind of nice that my iphone has SOME limitations on when I can use it.

That design in the photo REALLY makes me wish they would have the display go from edge to edge, without the need of a background. wishful thinking, i suppose.
Actually, it may not be "wishful thinking" at all. Some of the industry speculation is that Apple is ditching the headphone jack so they can make an edge-to-edge display.

Actually, it may not be "wishful thinking" at all. Some of the industry speculation is that Apple is ditching the headphone jack so they can make an edge-to-edge display.
I would love an edge to edge display, This has been rumoured before but fingers crossed.