Now my problem is i have put my Apple ID into
the phone,but it now wants to update Youtube,
but its says the son in laws email addy,which
is odd because i thought i'd deleted it,and put
my own in.
Help in huge lumps would be handy.
Cheers Baza

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Baza!

The Apple ID of your son in law will be removed from the device, and it will not ask for his password or ID, when you go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase all Content and Settings.
You'll have to set up the device as new afterwards.

It looks like you just took his iPhone, left his apps on the device and changed the Apple ID. That's why it's asking for his password when an app he purchased or downloaded previously has to be updated. Some of the apps are still connected to his ID. Maybe it's also connected to his iCloud ID. This will result in a locked iPhone as soon as you set it back to factory settings.

Here are the steps that should be taken when selling an iDevice with iOS 7 and upwards installed:
What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone iPad or iPod touch - Apple Support
Make sure your son-in-law follows the instructions, and your iPhone will not ask for his password again.

Hi J A, thanks for your reply,i have a,Facebook and
Icloud and Whatsaap a/c,so if i reset will i loose all
my photos contacts everything
Cheers Baza

Are the photos in the Photos app? What do you use for your contacts? iCloud or Facebook, or do you save the contacts to the iPhone only?

Ah now this is where its gets complicated lol.
I'll try and explain being not to clever with this
I phone malarky,
Contacts are to the phone,photos are in the
phone and on that cloud thingy,told you,you'd
be sorry i joined lol.
What i cant understand is the YT a/c is in my name,
but when i try to update it says Apple id in son in laws name.

Big thanks for your patience
,Cheers Baza

Ah now this is where its gets complicated lol.
I'll try and explain being not to clever with this
I phone malarky,
Contacts are to the phone,photos are in the
phone and on that cloud thingy,told you,you'd
be sorry i joined lol.
What i cant understand is the YT a/c is in my name,
but when i try to update it says Apple id in son in laws name.

Big thanks for your patience
,Cheers Baza
No problem. :) I'm trying to help, and I hope we can solve this problem with your son-in-law's ID.

When you received the iPhone, what exactly did you do? Did you have to start from the "Hello" screen, which means you had to set it up as new?

Or was his ID in iTunes & App Store, and you changed it to yours? If it worked this way, all the apps he purchased before you received his iPhone are still there. This also means when they have to be updated, they will always ask for his password, because they still are connected to his Apple ID, and there's no way to prevent this.

Just as an information:
Photos can be saved to online storage, most of these are free, and you won't lose your photos.
The Facebook, iCloud and WhatsApp account can be set up after setting back the iPhone to factory settings, so you won't lose these as well.

If you added contacts by using iCloud, they'll appear again afterwards as well. The same goes for the contacts from Facebook. If they are on your iPhone only, I'm sure there's an app that will help saving and exporting them.

Last edited:
When you received the iPhone, what exactly did you do? Did you have to start from the "Hello" screen, which means you had to set it up as new?

Or was his ID in iTunes & App Store, and you changed it to yours? If it worked this way, all the apps he purchased before you received his iPhone are still there. This also means when they have to be updated, they will always ask for his password, because they still are connected to his Apple ID, and there's no way to prevent this.
Hi, no Hello screen for me ;-(
So plan B,can i delete the app and
then upload a new one in my name ?

Cheers Baza

First, you have to make sure you don't lose your photos and contacts.

Then erase the iPhone and set it up as new.

The Facebook app, as well as Whatsapp can be downloaded from the App Store, after setting up the iPhone again. They will be connected to your Apple ID, so they won't ask for your son in law's password any more. As far as I know both apps are free.

Cheers so when i set phone up as new the apple id will cover all apps,
is that correct

Cheers Baza

Correct. The apps you download from then on will be yours, and not his. The apps he installed on the iPhone will be removed. If you need some of them, you'll have to download and install them on your device after setting it up.

Cheers mate,ok i'm going in,
wish me luck,i may be a while,
Cheers Baza

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Please don't forget to save your contacts and images before setting back the iPhone to factory settings.

Last edited:
Now my problem is i have put my Apple ID into
the phone,but it now wants to update Youtube,
but its says the son in laws email addy,which
is odd because i thought i'd deleted it,and put
my own in.

The above was my only problem really,so through
fear i did the cowards way in the end,i deleted
the Youtube app and then reinstalled it with my,
Apple ID [which i found] and where all up and
running again thanks.
Just like to say thanks very much for all the
advice you gave,
Cheers Baza

You're welcome.

Maybe you'll find other apps that are connected to his ID. You can do the same with these.

Just to make sure the iPhone isn't connected to your son in law's iCloud ID:
Is his email address visible in Settings - iCloud? If so, it'll still be necessary to erase the device and start from the beginning.