What's new

any apps that will iniate a 3g signal for required application then close back to 2g?

dreadz123

Reaction score
As per the title really? looking for a tweak that can enable the 3g setting for a specific program that accesses the net on iphpne 4? then once said program is closed it will revert back to original setting? reason being: i seem to have brilliant batterylife on 2g and only thing is its too slow for apps that use data so i have to keep switching 3g on or off!!

Think this type of app/tweak would be really useful? anything out there or close?

thanks

How do you switch 3G off and still get 2g? I have the sbsettings toggle but I don't think it works right.

Jmills87 said:
If you are on AT&T it does it automatically when 3G is disabled or unavailable.

You're still not telling me how I can disable it. That's what I want to know. I tried the sbsettings toggle. I tried auto3g. They both say it's disabled but I still see 3G up in the corner.

Jmills87 said:
Verizon iPhones do not have 2G. You can only use 3G.

This is not true. I toggle between 3G and 2G all the time. IntelliScreenX is the only tweak that can allow this tho.

For Verizon iPhones there are only 2 networks you can use that is 3G (EVDO) and 2G (1xrtt).

But the thing with a CDMA iPhone is you can only go to the 2G (1xrtt) when the 3G signal is not string enough.

However ISX offers the ability to switch between the 2 networks. And stay on 2G even when 3G is very strong.

Last edited:
dreadz123 said:
As per the title really? looking for a tweak that can enable the 3g setting for a specific program that accesses the net on iphpne 4? then once said program is closed it will revert back to original setting? reason being: i seem to have brilliant batterylife on 2g and only thing is its too slow for apps that use data so i have to keep switching 3g on or off!!

Think this type of app/tweak would be really useful? anything out there or close?

thanks

Jailbreaking is the only way. And the only way after you jailbreak is to install IntelliScreenX. That is the only tweak that allows you to stay on 2G for as long as you want. And switch between 3G and 2G freely.

zig9449 said:
Jailbreaking is the only way. And the only way after you jailbreak is to install IntelliScreenX. That is the only tweak that allows you to stay on 2G for as long as you want. And switch between 3G and 2G freely.

Do you mind taking a screen shot of how you set it to 2g and on showing that the phone is on 2g on demand?

jjmartinez1982 said:
Do you mind taking a screen shot of how you set it to 2g and on showing that the phone is on 2g on demand?

Yeah....hold on.lol.

Just a simple toggle. Why would I make it up?lol. But gimmie a min.

Last edited:
img0021t.png
img0022v.png

As you can see.............When the toggle says "3G" my phone stays connected to 3G, and when the I tap the toggle it switches to "E" which then forces my phone to stay connected to 2G(1xrtt/Edge)........And it works great.

There is only 2 "tiny tiny" problems.

1) when switching from 2G to 3G it sometimes has a pretty good delay.....sometimes up to 20-30 seconds before actually switching to 3G from 2G...............Really not that bad, and sometimes switches rite away with no delay at all. Switching from 3G to 2G is fast and instant tho. I imagine this is probaby because the CDMA iPhone is not suppose to have this functyionality at all...But nevertheless...............Works great.

2) After every reboot, when the phone is connected to 3G, the toggle will say "E" (2g/data) even tho its connected to 3G instead of 2G, but a quick toggle on and off fixes that.No biggie. This "only" happens after reboots tho............Not resprings.

If ya ask me..............These 2 very extemely minor things are most cdertainly not a deal breaker, and in fact are not even annoying at all. I mean................What other tweak allows a CDMA iPhone to switch between 3G(EVDO) & 2G(1xrtt) freely whenever you "choose" to.........................................None.....That's how many.lol.

I think the fact that I have the choice to swith freely between the 2 networks literally any time I want like a GSM iPhone does is pretty frikkin' awesome.............Don't you?lol

Last edited:
I believed you, just wanted to see that the phone actually shows something different when in 2g mode. Because when I use the sbsettings toggle to turn 3G off, my phone still shows its on 3G. I appreciate the pics.

jjmartinez1982 said:
I believed you, just wanted to see that the phone actually shows something different when in 2g mode. Because when I use the sbsettings toggle to turn 3G off, my phone still shows its on 3G. I appreciate the pics.

Oh yeah. I see.lol. No problem.

If that little circle isn't in the status bar than its not on 2G. SBSettings only works on GSM iPhones. CDMA is new to iPhone hackers.

3G= 3G(EVDO)
• = 2G(1xrtt)

Well that's not the real symbol for 2G but it's close enough.lol.

Last edited: