What's new

Alternatives?

69Rixter

Reaction score
I would like to know if there are alternatives to iO.S's. In other words, are there other/alternative O.S.'s that can be installed to and operate on apple devices(specifically an iPhone 8+) that do not have all the spyware and heavy handed "use parameters"? Like the phone, just don't care for apple!!!

THANX:

:confused:Rick

No, that’s not possible.
I’ve read that somebody installed Android on an iPhone 3G and on a first generation iPhone recently, but both devices were jailbroken. It’s still not possible to do the same on other generations of iPhones.

RE: J A

Thank You for responding. OK.....I got this reply at another forum... "Depends on your lawyers interpretation of whether jailbreaking an iPhone is legal This is a controversial subject, but after looking at the situation and you decide to, Linux can be installed." I know that both iOS and Linux are based on Unix...so...could it be possible/probable?

;)Rick

Jailbreaking a disabled iPhone is not possible. Additionally: not all versions of iOS can be jailbroken. If your device is or was up to date, there’s no jailbreak available.

REPLY: J.A.

Yea, been finding that out. You know, with all the techno junkies/hackers out there, I'd surely think someone has it figured out. Well, just throw it in a drawer and occasionally check to see if someone has it figured out and can help me.

RE: scifan57

Ok, just wondered why the "rules and regs" were ever present. Thought I may have inadvertently been doing some faux pas. Believe I'll just have to give it some time until someone "figures it out", as is always the case. Still getting a good deal of debate about whether or not this phone will accept and run an alternate O.S. Even at that from all my "goggling" it seems the foremost important object/impass I must remove is getting the phone "jailbroken" Thanx for replying

I’ve done a little research into the possibility of installing an alternative operating system on an iPhone. It’s unlikely to work as the boot loader in an iOS device will not allow an operating system not signed by Apple to run.

Last edited:
Since the last three posts were not related to the topic of the thread they were posted in, I’ve moved them to your own thread.

Link #2 doesn’t show how to install Linux on an iPhone, but to sync an iPhone with a computer running Linux. The other article was written more than 4 years ago. Apple has made lots of changes, eliminating some of the things that were possible back then.

Last edited: