Editor in Chief
- Jul 27, 2011
- Reaction score
One of the coolest new features of iOS 8 is the widgets which show up in the notification panel, but they won't be enabled by default in every instance. Because of this, we wanted to share a useful breakdown of how to install and use widgets on your newly upgrades iOS 8 device.
Here are the steps:
- First you need to install apps that already have widgets for iOS 8 created for them - alternatively you can update an app to the latest version if the app supports widgets.
- Next, after you have installed the app, you need to pull down the Notification panel on your home or lock screen and head to the "Today" section.
- In the bottom of this area look for an "Edit" button. This will take you to another screen where widgets can be set up (although you won't find the word "widget" anywhere).
- Specifically, Apple widgets will show up by default in a "Do Not Include" tab next to a green "+" sign. Clicking on it will enable the widget, but if you click and hold it, the right side of an active widget will let you move it up and down your list. Alternatively, if you tap on the red "-" sign, this will remove widgets.
- Once you have activated a widget by pressing "Done" in the upper right, the widget will show up in the "Today" area, and that's it!