What's new

Almost One Million iOS Devices Were Jailbroken During Memorial Day Weekend

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
new_iPad.JPG

BGR writes that the Chronic Dev Team has announced via Twitter that since the release of the Absinthe 2.0 untethered jailbreak solution for iOS 5.1.1 on Friday, more than 973,086 devices have been jailbroken as of this past Sunday evening, the day before the Memorial Day holiday in the US. Chronic Dev Team breaks the figures down even further, saying that 211,401 of them were the new iPad. Absinthe 2.0 is compatible with A4 chip devices such as the original iPad and the iPhone 4, as well as devices powered by the A5X chip, such as the iPhone 4S and the newest iPad. Unfortunately the jailbreak is not compatible with the new version of the iPad 2, which now has the 32-nanometer chipset. Previously BGR had reported that some users had complained of problems with the new jailbreak, however, and had advised users that they might want to wait until another build of the jailbreak is released, just to be on the safe side.

Source:
Absinthe 2 -- iPhone, iPad jailbreak downloaded nearly one million times
Untethered jailbreak: iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak ready for iPhone and iPad

slowly an increased number of users will decide to jailbreak but a lot of that % only do it for unlock and dont really want the jailbreak so with that in mind the number will be a small amount compared to the ios devices that are out there but at this rate there will be more who jalbreak in no time

Was one of those people this weekend. Tonight I will restore to stock firmware. In the 14 months prior to this weekend I have only had to hard reboot twice. In the last 24 hours, I have had to respring twice and hard reboot once. And I only have 5 things installed.

Also Cydia's advertisements is the worse thing I have ever seen done to a community.

I have a hosts file that blocks all the obnoxious ads in cydia if you are interested.

Was one of those people this weekend. Tonight I will restore to stock firmware...
Also Cydia's advertisements is the worse thing I have ever seen done to a community.

Thanks... I was thinking of going down the Jailbreak road. But if you are restoring to the stock firmware then I think I will hold off with Jailbreaking my 4S for a while, as it sounds like there could be one or two teething problems with certain things at this moment in time.

I have a hosts file that blocks all the obnoxious ads in cydia if you are interested.

I actually considered that. But sadly, I use my iPhone for work and I can't afford for it to lock up when a critical text or call comes in.

Thanks... I was thinking of going down the Jailbreak road. But if you are restoring to the stock firmware then I think I will hold off with Jailbreaking my 4S for a while, as it sounds like there could be one or two teething problems with certain things at this moment in time.

If I wasn't worried about missing something, then I might spend the time to figure out all the little gotchas. But the thought of missing just one mission critical text message is enough to warrant rolling back in my opinion.

There are no problems in my jb 4s

my phone

My 4s

my phone

Attachments

• $image-733520638.jpg
    $image-733520638.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 336
Never had a lock up on a call or text here. The host file doesn't affect that, only data. Here's a screenshot...only thing that isn't working correctly is the I on label resizing with Shrink, hence no labels at the moment.

Attachments

• $image-2853580552.jpg
    $image-2853580552.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 348
Last edited: