What's new

Aftermarket lightning cables?

That the aftermarket cables don't last as long as the Apple cables just simply isn't always true.

With the Thunder cable (old style) I have bought tons of aftermarket ones and most have outlasted the Apple cables. I paid $3-5 per cable. I did get a dud once or twice and sometimes they do wear out. But at that price who cares. Part of why I started ordering aftermarket cables was to get the longer 6 foot cables. We are an iDevice crazy family and have plugs all over the house and cars. I tend to order 10 cables at a time every couple of years.

With the lightning cables I have ordered aftermarket ones from 2 different vendors on Amazon here recently. So far I've been very happy.
Very true! My family is Idevice crazy too! I have ordered over 20 last year and 15 of them are still working. Most of the aftermarket cables are pretty good, but it's how you use them over time from wear and tear they will break. But for the price you can't go wrong or be mad when one breaks from pulling or forgetting them on the floor while vacuuming. I even bought some of those light up cables and they are a hit and miss.

That the aftermarket cables don't last as long as the Apple cables just simply isn't always true.
You're absolutely right. It "isn't always true." However, more often than not a genuine Apple replacement cable is going to last longer and have better build quality than you're cheapo 3rd party cables. Belkin, Monster, etc... are going to have good build quality.

Thomasjtsi said:
You're absolutely right. It "isn't always true." However, more often than not a genuine Apple replacement cable is going to last longer and have better build quality than you're cheapo 3rd party cables. Belkin, Monster, etc... are going to have good build quality.

I guess I've just experienced the opposite. The aftermarket cables I have bought have all outlasted my Apple cables. For that matter with the lightning cable I've already had one apple one go bad.

Now that in our house we have moved to all lightning cable devices (3 ip5s and a mini) I am getting rid of all my thunder cables. I haven't run across one single Apple brand cable out of the 20 or so cables I've run across and yet I still have the first aftermarket car I bought and I know it because the dog chewed the end just a bit right after I bought it. It is still going strong.

So I've had FAR more aftermarket cars outlast Apple cables.

We've only ever had maybe 2-3 duds. I have had some that just stopped working. But for a $5 cable to just stop working after 6 months I can't say I really care. When a $20 cable craps out in that time period I care.

Not to mention that the Apple cable is painfully short. I hate that dang thing. All of my aftermarket thunder cables are 6 foot cables. I haven't found a 6 foot lightning cable yet so we've just been using a USB extension cable.

(We scatter cables and plugs in every room. If there is anything i hate it is looking for a plug or cable! Popular spots have plugs that take more then 1 cable. I keep a plug and at least 2 cables in my purse/bag. Toss a couple in with the laptop bag. At least 2 cables in both cars. I leave a plug and cable at work. I can't do that at $20 a cable.)