What's new

Aftermarket lightning cables?

mach1man

Reaction score
Has anyone tried after market lightning cables, like off of amazon? I'm looking at getting a yellow cable and just trying to see if anyone has experience on this.

Well I just want the cable bc I want to plug it into my radio for pandora. See my show car is yellow and I'd like to have a cable that matched lol. Yea it's kinda weird/dumb but oh well lol

My radio has a USB port that I can use to play music through and charge the phone.

I got one from amazon. Works fine. Some say it's bad to use after market cables though so you might wanna do some research.

Yea I've heard that too. That's why I'm trying to get a ill feedback to see if anyone here has tried it. I wish apple just made colorful cables lol

The only issue you'll run into using an aftermarket lightning cable is that a bad cable simply won't work... and it sure isn't going to last as long as a Apple cable or an autorized 3rd party cable like Belkin. Using a cheapo cable won't damage your phone or the stereo your connecting it to.

Thanks Thomas. I'll order one and try it. The car its going in I only drive on the weekends in nice weather. So if the cable doesn't work not a huge loss

Thanks Thomas. I'll order one and try it. The car its going in I only drive on the weekends in nice weather. So if the cable doesn't work not a huge loss
Exactly... just don't spend an amount of money on the cable that you'd be concerned about if it doesn't work. I call these cables "throw aways!"

I just spent the money and ordered them from Amazon. I wanted to be sure they worked!

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB
<3 Jailbroken w/ envisi0n <3

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Tapatalk Yo! :)

The thing about the specific cable mach1man wants... a yellow cable... is none of them are going to be high quality and/or last very long. Regardless of how much money you spend on them. Whether you spend $4 or $20 (getting absolutely ripped off!!) the overall quality is going to be the same w/ the colored cables... even the black ones.

That's right I totally forgot that. There was a website that my husband and I found and we were able to get cables for two dollars for our 4s's in a rainbow of colors. Let me see if I can find them

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB
<3 Jailbroken w/ envisi0n <3

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Tapatalk Yo! :)

Thomasjtsi said:
The only issue you'll run into using an aftermarket lightning cable is that a bad cable simply won't work... and it sure isn't going to last as long as a Apple cable or an autorized 3rd party cable like Belkin. Using a cheapo cable won't damage your phone or the stereo your connecting it to.

That the aftermarket cables don't last as long as the Apple cables just simply isn't always true.

With the Thunder cable (old style) I have bought tons of aftermarket ones and most have outlasted the Apple cables. I paid $3-5 per cable. I did get a dud once or twice and sometimes they do wear out. But at that price who cares. Part of why I started ordering aftermarket cables was to get the longer 6 foot cables. We are an iDevice crazy family and have plugs all over the house and cars. I tend to order 10 cables at a time every couple of years.

With the lightning cables I have ordered aftermarket ones from 2 different vendors on Amazon here recently. So far I've been very happy.

itzmeigh said:
That the aftermarket cables don't last as long as the Apple cables just simply isn't always true.

With the Thunder cable (old style) I have bought tons of aftermarket ones and most have outlasted the Apple cables. I paid $3-5 per cable. I did get a dud once or twice and sometimes they do wear out. But at that price who cares. Part of why I started ordering aftermarket cables was to get the longer 6 foot cables. We are an iDevice crazy family and have plugs all over the house and cars. I tend to order 10 cables at a time every couple of years.

With the lightning cables I have ordered aftermarket ones from 2 different vendors on Amazon here recently. So far I've been very happy.

Thanks. I'll be ordering mine soon.