What's new

Adding an Email Account

TheKingfish

Reaction score
Newbie cautious about this topic, related to my circumstance; which is no forward plan to administer my email from the iPhone. I have an email client (Mozilla/Thunderbird) on my home desktop. I routinely access the online server (Yahoo), delete unwanted emails; then download to Thunderbird. This old-style process works for me, in that all email remains conveniently compartmentalized on the home front.

Given that, I want the ability to access (read-only) my email via the phone. I would view my email in this way only occasionally. Also handy for an occasional authentication process. I have researched the iPhone access setup, and it appears simple enough.

My question is probably over-dramatic. The email trove resides on the server, but let’s say I now have the iPhone setup in place. If I access/read my email via the phone, does that in any way remove it from the server such that I won’t be able to download it via Thunderbird as normal?

The observation here is, cohorts that are often caught between two (2) worlds; becoming confused where their emails and responses reside. By way of business-related communication, their frustration often seeps into my world......
Thank you,
TheKingfish
iPhone SE 3 – purchased Nov/2023

Newbie cautious about this topic, related to my circumstance; which is no forward plan to administer my email from the iPhone. I have an email client (Mozilla/Thunderbird) on my home desktop. I routinely access the online server (Yahoo), delete unwanted emails; then download to Thunderbird. This old-style process works for me, in that all email remains conveniently compartmentalized on the home front.

Given that, I want the ability to access (read-only) my email via the phone. I would view my email in this way only occasionally. Also handy for an occasional authentication process. I have researched the iPhone access setup, and it appears simple enough.

My question is probably over-dramatic. The email trove resides on the server, but let’s say I now have the iPhone setup in place. If I access/read my email via the phone, does that in any way remove it from the server such that I won’t be able to download it via Thunderbird as normal?

The observation here is, cohorts that are often caught between two (2) worlds; becoming confused where their emails and responses reside. By way of business-related communication, their frustration often seeps into my world......
Thank you,
TheKingfish
Provided your email is set up with IMAP, having your emails sent to your phone will not delete them from the server. Yahoo uses IMAP.

Last edited:
carolineM,
Thank you for your input. My email is set up with POP, but as you say, Yahoo readily facilitates IMAP. Mozilla Support (Thunderbird) provides full instruction for switching. However, it concludes with the following dark-cloud statement:
“If you have created a new email account that uses IMAP, you cannot delete your old POP account without deleting your email address. Before deleting the POP account, you will probably want to inform people who send messages to your old account that they should switch to your new email address.”

Yikes! As you might guess, my long-held email address is not something I want to change (i.e., sacrosanct). Business & otherwise. And like for most folks, such a move would be no small thing. Just looking at my address (@ameritech.net) tells you how long I’ve had it – late 90’s; probably earlier.

Is there perhaps a workaround? If not, the irony for me is Perfect Storm like. Transitioning to the smartphone has been challenging, but I’m not sure I would have made the move had I known this particular mountain existed. Frustrating. Nonetheless, I’m most game for that workaround path if there is one.
Thank you,
TheKingfish

There is a workaround for this. You would need first to export and save your email messages. You then disable (not delete at this stage) your POP account. Next, set up the same email address with IMAP. Import your messages to the IMAP account and check that it is working. Finally you can delete the POP account.

Last edited:
carolineM,
Thank you for your good input, and my apologies for not replying sooner. It may be an overreact, but messing with my email address is a bit scary for me. Basically, a case where one looks beyond the precipice and has trepidation. Plus, communication wise, there’s the current-need & swirl of the holidays.

So, I’m looking for a calmer window in time (maybe mid-January) when I can comfortably go down this road. Rest assured this Cowardly Lion will report back after summoning the courage…….
Thank you,
TheKingfish

carolineM,
Thank you for your good input, and my apologies for not replying sooner. It may be an overreact, but messing with my email address is a bit scary for me. Basically, a case where one looks beyond the precipice and has trepidation. Plus, communication wise, there’s the current-need & swirl of the holidays.

So, I’m looking for a calmer window in time (maybe mid-January) when I can comfortably go down this road. Rest assured this Cowardly Lion will report back after summoning the courage…….
Thank you,
TheKingfish
Thanks for your reply. Life can get pretty hectic at times - I understand. Have a very happy Christmas 🙂