What's new

Activating and Restoring 4s, but Keep iOs 5 on 3gs, but removed personal information

sjcruiser36

Reaction score
I can't seem to find this answer anywhere. I have a 4S on the way. I'm selling my 3gs, but want to keep the IOs 5 upgrade on the 3gs. Everything I'm reading is telling me to back up my 3gs (which is done), then restore the 3gs to the original factory settings, and then activate and restore the new 4S from the back up. So if my 3gs is already backed up, how to I keep the IOs 5 software on the phone, but have all my information, apps, music, etc. removed if I have to resort the phone to the original settings?

Thanks

All you do is perform a factory restore in iTunes and don't restore from a backup when your done. You'll have iOS 5 on the 3GS, but that's it! Your information, apps, and data will be wiped clean. :D

Thanks for the quick response. That seems simple enough, and then I connect the 4S and do the restore from the backup, and the data on the $S will them mimic my last backed up version from the 3gs correct?