What's new

4s dead battery - quickest way to recharge

seeker

Reaction score
This happens to me and all my friends. End of a full day of use.. battery is dead. Not much time to recharge before the next activity. How can I get the most charge in my phone before I have to leave!!??!!!

What is the quickest way to get the most juice into my iPhone 4s in the shortest amount of time? I heard that I could use my iPad charger (10W / 2.1A) instead of the standard charger (5W / 1A). I believe that a slower charge will last longer (or so I have read). Are their warranty / damage issues if I use other methods?

Where do I get the general guidelines Max Watts/Amps. Avg time to get to 25% / 50%. I have learned that it is not an exact science and that volts somehow come into play when using the battery meter.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Last edited:
This happens to me and all my friends. End of a full day of use.. battery is dead. Not much time to recharge before the next activity. How can I get the most charge in my phone before I have to leave!!??!!!

What is the quickest way to get the most juice into my iPhone 4s in the shortest amount of time? I heard that I could use my iPad charger (10W / 2.1A) instead of the standard charger (5W / 1A). I believe that a slower charge will last longer (or so I have read). Are their warranty / damage issues if I use other methods?

Where do I get the general guidelines Max Watts/Amps. Avg time to get to 25% / 50%. I have learned that it is not an exact science and that volts somehow come into play when using the battery meter.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Given what you just stated, I highly recommend you simply buy a battery pack case for the iPhone. That is your only viable solution.

Now to address your questions directly.

You can not speed up the charging process. It is done by a circuit in the phone and that can not be altered.

Charging the iPhone with either the standard or iPad charger makes no difference what-so-ever, unless you leave the screen on, because the iPhone dictates how much power is being drawn. The charger is simply providing the electricity.

The guideline for charging is in a ton of white papers from battery manufactures that you would find very boring. The good news is, I happen to have a video on the subject matter that I did for fun ;) http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...lets-separate-facts-fiction-40230/#post210671

After you read that post and watch the video, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Given what you just stated, I highly recommend you simply buy a battery pack case for the iPhone. That is your only viable solution.

Now to address your questions directly.

You can not speed up the charging process. It is done by a circuit in the phone and that can not be altered.

Charging the iPhone with either the standard or iPad charger makes no difference what-so-ever, unless you leave the screen on, because the iPhone dictates how much power is being drawn. The charger is simply providing the electricity.

The guideline for charging is in a ton of white papers from battery manufactures that you would find very boring. The good news is, I happen to have a video on the subject matter that I did for fun ;) http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...lets-separate-facts-fiction-40230/#post210671

After you read that post and watch the video, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Mother of god. I haven't seen old school Kinects in YEAARRS. Oh man those childhood memories....

OT: I agree with the battery case suggestion. Getting one for the go would definitely help increase battery life. I'm using the Mophie Juice Pack Air. It provides about 80-85% charge under a full charge. It does go for a fairly steep price of 80$ but it was a pretty good investment since I use it pretty often. If you shop carefully, you can find a Kensington one for something like 30$ online or in some stores.

Also, if your 4S is closing in to the 1 year old mark, consider changing the battery. A fresh battery means a better charge capacity (again), meaning more juice for your charge.

As for fast charge, the initial 80% should take about a minute per %. So for a good 25% charge (assuming your iPhone still has some juice left in it so you don't have to wait for 5% of charge for the iOS to boot), it'll take you about 25 minutes. 50%, about 40-45 minutes, so on and so forth