What's new

4G service on an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1?

Howard

Reaction score
I just an iPhone 4S with iOS 5.1 receiving 4G service. Is this also possible on an iPhone 4?
Thanks,

You can thank AT&T for this confusion and STUPIDITY. Why Apple allowed this is beyond me.

4G under AT&T is actually HSPA+ and has NOTHING to do with LTE. Basically this is a marketing gimmick to mess with Verizon. One that I feel should be illegal since 4G is used by the average consumer to speak about LTE.

So to answer your question, if your iP4 is on At&t, then yes. just update it to 5.1
I'm guessing you already did that?

I guess At&t thinks because LTE is built off of GSM infrastructural they can technically deliver LTE speeds? I always here that they have the better network than our iPhones on Verizon. Faster from what I'm told

I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1 and I cannot get 4G, only 3G.

I don't know. but a person in my office with a 4S is getting 4G and I am not with an iPhone 4, and we both have iOS 5.1.

Are you on AT&T? If so then that is very interesting. I would suggest rebooting your iPhone. If you are on Verizon, then you have nothing to worry about since they don't offer HSPA+.

Yes, I am on AT&T. I just did a hard reboot of my phone and still have no 4G service.

Yes, I am on AT&T. I just did a hard reboot of my phone and still have no 4G service.

Took a minute to research why. Think I may have found the answer.

iPhone 4: HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps

iPhone 4S: HSDPA, 14.4 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.8 Mbps

Odds are they are only using the 4G for the 14.4Mbps specification.

Thanks a lot for your help. I guess I will still wait for the iPhone 5.

Even if you've got the 4G icon, it's really fauxG & not true LTE. Unfortunately (as a previous poster noted), AT&T was trying to save face against Big Red's marketing campaign & suddenly developed "4G". No iPhone currently carries an LTE antennae, although they ARE able to access high-end 3G.

Again, to reference a previous poster: yes, it SHOULD be illegal to mislead consumers with split-hair semantics like this.