What's new

3G connection drops after IPhone 4 sleeps

sammk18

Reaction score
Hi ... please help!!

I just got a brand new iphone 4 (FW 4.3.2) . I downloaded whatsapp and other apps like google talk ... the problem is whenever i hit the sleep button and after about 10 mins, i stop getting push notifications for those applications . as soon as get my phone out of sleep mode (power button) and go into those apps they reconnect .... why am i losing 3G connection??? in sleep mode or could the problem be that my apps stop running in the background?? PLEASE HELP!!

no no, even though they are not connected when the phone being in sleepy mode, whatsapp is still capable to receiving push notification. Try to use another phone and send a message to your phone on whatsapp and you will see that you will receive the notification almost immediately, you can even reboot your device, and without opening whatsapp after rebooting your iDevice, try to use another phone to send a message to your whatsapp and again you will see that you will receive the push notification immediately, but then after receiving the notification and tap to view the message, whatsapp or whatever apps will now try to connect to internet, it doesn't matter if you are on 3G or wifi. That's how it works.

no no, even though they are not connected when the phone being in sleepy mode, whatsapp is still capable to receiving push notification. Try to use another phone and send a message to your phone on whatsapp and you will see that you will receive the notification almost immediately, you can even reboot your device, and without opening whatsapp after rebooting your iDevice, try to use another phone to send a message to your whatsapp and again you will see that you will receive the push notification immediately, but then after receiving the notification and tap to view the message, whatsapp or whatever apps will now try to connect to internet, it doesn't matter if you are on 3G or wifi. That's how it works.

Yeah i understand what your saying, and that is the problem... i dont get any push notifications if anyone sent me anything on whats app when i press on the power button (NOT TO TURN IT OFF) to only dim the screen! and i have an active 3G connection!!

Yeah i understand what your saying, and that is the problem... i dont get any push notifications if anyone sent me anything on whats app when i press on the power button (NOT TO TURN IT OFF) to only dim the screen! and i have an active 3G connection!!
1- Have you jailbreak you iPhone? do you have any profile apps installed on the iPhone? if yes remove any profile apps you have on the iPhone,
2- If you never jailbreak or never installed any profile apps from cydia on your phone then go to settings> Notifications> (turn ON Notifications) then go down in the list and find whatsapp, it will take you to setting page, there you should turn on sounds- alerts- badges. Do that to all the applications you willing to receive push notification from.
3- If you already have the notification setting set correctly and you still don't receive any notification then go to settings> general> reset> reset all settings. After that reboot your device and without lunching whatsapp application, try to use another phone which having whatsapp to send a message to you whatsapp and see if you will receive the push notification.
Those steps should help you to cure that issue with push notification.