What's new

3g 3.1.2

marc30

Reaction score
Just got a 3G(3.1.2) for my kid. need recommendations. I want to jailbreak it untethered it and to be able to use it without a data package just WiFi.
is this possible?

Welcome,

Firstly what ever you do I don't recommend you update it to iOS 4. The 3G runs really slow on that firmware. You will be able to use the phone without a data plan (or even a sim) without jailbreaking if you wish. You will need the sim to get the phone activated but you can then remove it.

To jailbreak 3.1.2 you will need redsnow...

That is what i want to do . i don't really care much to jailbreak it if i can use it without a data plan. I used an old sim to bypass the activation.but i am afraid that if i install his active Sim card they will want me to get a data plan.

I don't see why you would have to sign up for a data plan? Just keep mobile data off so you don't accidentally use any and get a large bill or use up all your credit...

People are telling me that AT&T will know that i have an iPhone and they will add the data pack to my account.

Would it be wise to update to 4OS Jailbreak, Unlock and disable multitasking?
I heard that if you disable multitasking, the 3G will work fine with OS4

People are telling me that AT&T will know that i have an iPhone and they will add the data pack to my account.

Would it be wise to update to 4OS Jailbreak, Unlock and disable multitasking?
I heard that if you disable multitasking, the 3G will work fine with OS4

You shouldn't upgrade to iOS 4xxx on iPhone 3G, doing so will result a serious slow response on the device. iPhone 3G doesn't have the multitask bar unless jailbreaked maybe.

Disabling spotlight search helps the 3G on iOS 4. I don't know how ou disable multitasking or if it's even included in the 3G's iOS 4. Either way I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't see how AT&T can force you onto a data plan of you don't want one but I don't live in the US...