What's new

2 questions

jdean

Reaction score
I will be going from unlimited data. If I streamed 4 hours of music, approx. how much data might I use? And is there an advantage to using AT&T or Verizon? Thanks for your feedback. Hating to leave unlimited data.

I will be going from unlimited data. If I streamed 4 hours of music, approx. how much data might I use? And is there an advantage to using AT&T or Verizon? Thanks for your feedback. Hating to leave unlimited data.

I don't know if anyone can answer your first question. Look at your last bill to see how much data you use, if your provider gives you that information. Verizon does.

Verizon you would be on the largest 4G LTE network. AT&T has a reputation for dropping calls. However Verizon uses CMDA which basically is just available in the United States. AT&T uses GSM which makes it a world phone.

If you are not a world traveler I would recommend Verizon. I'm not that certain but I thought I read something somewhere that said they can make it available for travel but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the response hook. Verizon does have gsm; you just have to activate it before you go. Just wanted to get an idea of data usage. Will check last bills. Thanks.

Ummmm.... Verizon doesn't have a GSM radio tower in the US that I am aware of.

But don't They have something to Make the iPhone Into a world phone as well? I could've sworn I read something about that

The iPhone 5 has three versions:

US:
GSM model A1428: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

CDMA model A1429: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

World:
GSM model A1429: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)

The CDMA A1429 does have the ability to talk on GSM (NON-LTE) bands. You simply have to install a GSM SIM to use that feature since that version comes unlocked. But Verizon doesn't offer any GSM frequencies for HSPA+ dual talk/data operations.

BTW the iPhone 4S was also a GSM and CDMA setup. But it was 100% locked unless you specifically requested an unlock for international travel.

Skull One, Verizon states you have to activate a preinstalled SIM card and sign up for an international plan. As for the towers and electronics, I haven't a clue how that works, and that's probably a good thing. Dean

Skull One, Verizon states you have to activate a preinstalled SIM card and sign up for an international plan. As for the towers and electronics, I haven't a clue how that works, and that's probably a good thing. Dean

Verizon can state what ever it wants for marketing purposes. The reality is, take any CDMA iPhone A1429 and pop an AT&T/T-Mobile micro-SIM in it and it works on the HSPA+ frequencies.

It was sort of mandated by a Federal level agreement with the FCC ;)