What's new

11.3 Update & Mail Notifications

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
I finally updated my 5s to 11.3. something, and now I am getting mail notifications for the mail programme. I do not use mail on either my Mac or my phone---too many problems. How do I turn off the notifications?

Amazingly enough, there is now an 11.4. something update available. They never stop!

If you do not want Notifications for Mail, just go to Notifications in Settings, scroll down to Mail and toggle them off.

Hi Ledsteplin. Yes, I use email a lot, but I only use gmail and yahoo. I had too many problems with the mail app on my Mac, so I stopped using it years ago. I use gmail and yahoo on my iphone if I am gone for good portion of the day, but I prefer to use email on my computer. Emails and texts on my iphone are really, really hard on my eyes now that I am old. This is why I primarily depend on my Mac.

As long as iOS is used by Apple, there will be updates. It's the same with every operating system.

Yes, this is true, it just seems that the updates come so frequently.....

^^^ Yes, well, it seems like every few weeks there is another update. :D

About once a month.

Not as often as Microsoft, though. It looks like they update Windows twice a week.

^^^ Yes, I agree with that! The worst were the dreaded "service packs." {{{shiver}}} I switched to Mac and iphone a few years ago now, and I will NEVER go back. :)

I have now updated to the 11.4. something update. I have noticed something different re my emails. Please bear with me whilst I try to explain this. Every time I get a new email of gmail, it pops up on my phone. That is fine. Normally, I use touch to unlock the phone and then press the home button once quickly, and it gets rid of the email notifications, and that is fine, too. Now, however, with these newest updates, if I swipe down from the top of the screen, I am finding email notifications that I already got rid of by the aforementioned method. Was this always there and I just never noticed it before, or is this new? Can I turn it off? Why would I want to see emails notifications I already got rid of?

I have now updated to the 11.4. something update. I have noticed something different re my emails. Please bear with me whilst I try to explain this. Every time I get a new email of gmail, it pops up on my phone. That is fine. Normally, I use touch to unlock the phone and then press the home button once quickly, and it gets rid of the email notifications, and that is fine, too. Now, however, with these newest updates, if I swipe down from the top of the screen, I am finding email notifications that I already got rid of by the aforementioned method. Was this always there and I just never noticed it before, or is this new? Can I turn it off? Why would I want to see emails notifications I already got rid of?

Yes, it's always been there. However, if you read or open it on the lockscreen, then it goes away on the notifications screen you pull down. So, if you miss it on the lockscreen, you can still see it on the notifications screen.