What's new

Worth the risk?

ericfudd

Reaction score
Hey there Apple peers. I need some advice (from someone who knows what they're talking about) concerning my old 3Gs. I have the iPhone 4s (pleased as can be), but I also have my old 3Gs which is not being utilized. I'm thinking of unlocking and jailbaiting, I mean breaking, it. It was through AT&T, version 5.0.1, model MC640LL, 8 GB. I'm using a step-by-step method that has me downloading redsn0w and iOS 5.0.1. (taking forever on this wi-fi'd laptop). Is this the best method? If I lose the 3Gs I'd be disappointed, but I have Siri's cute lil self, so I'm doing it. Any advice or constructive criticism
icon5.png

ericfudd said:
Hey there Apple peers. I need some advice (from someone who knows what they're talking about) concerning my old 3Gs. I have the iPhone 4s (pleased as can be), but I also have my old 3Gs which is not being utilized. I'm thinking of unlocking and jailbaiting, I mean breaking, it. It was through AT&T, version 5.0.1, model MC640LL, 8 GB. I'm using a step-by-step method that has me downloading redsn0w and iOS 5.0.1. (taking forever on this wi-fi'd laptop). Is this the best method? If I lose the 3Gs I'd be disappointed, but I have Siri's cute lil self, so I'm doing it. Any advice or constructive criticism

All you need to do to jailbreak your 3GS is open redsn0w, click on jailbreak, and put your device in DFU Mode, and wait for it to reboot.

If you want to jailbreak your 4S, you have to download Absinthe, open it, plug in phone, and click jailbreak.

If your 4S is on iOS 5.1, there is no jailbreak at all.

You do not have to download the IPSW for your 3GS to jailbreak. You only use the IPSW if redsn0w does not automatically recognize your build.

OJsakila said:
Now this is someone that doesn't know what they're talking about!

The "risk" is almost non existant!!!!!!!

I am pretty sure you have no idea what "bricking" means.lol.

If the guy messes up his baseband by trying to unlock it then the iphone will be unusable until its resolved.

3gs are notorious for issues such as this.

Jailbreaking and unlocking are two different procedures.

As said earlier jail breaking is simple.

I would leave the 3gs as stock and sell it on.

In the Uk its much easier just to pay a small unlock fee to the network for the unlock sequence.

Bricking an iPhone is extremely rare.

yes i do if your on 5.1 there are servirial risk of the jailbreak not working and crashing i think you are wrong and yes no risk besides the risk of hackers hacking ur device and more lol

appleiphonepro said:
yes i do if your on 5.1 there are servirial risk of the jailbreak not working and crashing i think you are wrong and yes no risk besides the risk of hackers hacking ur device and more lol

Lol. You do understand that these so called "risk" of hackers hacking into your device are slim to none right? And jailbreaking does not crash your device unless you do something wrong.

I mean there is a chance that a hacker can get into the device "only" if the person installed OpenSSH on there device, and what that tweak does is allow access to the file system over wifi.....all ya have to do is change the root password and the slim to none chance goes to a "none". Very easy to do. While there may be small "risk" there is a way to avoid any one of them. Like anything else.

You don't suddenly get vulnerable to attacks the second after you jailbreak. Yes it "could" happen, but people blow it so way out of proportion it's ridiculous.

Plus OpenSSH is rather pointless I think. I don't see why anyone would use wifi for SSH when they can use USB, which is just faster more stable and there is no room for file corruption during transfer like there is with WiFi SSH. Tho that is very very rare with wifi SSH. Could happen with a weak wifi signal I suppose.

Last edited:
Lol. You do understand that these so called "risk" of hackers hacking into your device are slim to none right? And jailbreaking does not crash your device unless you do something wrong.

I mean there is a chance that a hacker can get into the device "only" if the person installed OpenSSH on there device, and what that tweak does is allow access to the file system over wifi.....all ya have to do is change the root password and the slim to none chance goes to a "none". Very easy to do. While there may be small "risk" there is a way to avoid any one of them. Like anything else.

You don't suddenly get vulnerable to attacks the second after you jailbreak. Yes it "could" happen, but people blow it so way out of proportion it's ridiculous.

Plus OpenSSH is rather pointless I think. I don't see why anyone would use wifi for SSH when they can use USB, which is just faster more stable and there is no room for file corruption during transfer like there is with WiFi SSH. Tho that is very very rare with wifi SSH. Could happen with a weak wifi signal I suppose.

Very sound advice !

Annoys me when scaremongering goes on !

Jailbreaking is safe. Forced unlocking is not - it kills the GPS in iPhone 3G for one thing.
In Canada it is very hard to get a carrier to unlock an iphone. There are ads on the internet promising a safe "factory unlock" but I don't believe the offer.