What's new

How to Downgrade your iOS with the use of blobs (pre-A5 devices only)

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Quick, down and dirty tutorial on how to downgrade your iOS assuming you have valid SHSH blobs and APTickets. You can read up a little about blobs here.

If you're looking to downgrade on your iPad 2 and above, or iPhone 4S and above, this explains why it's not possible.

Requirements:
  • Your device must be an iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, iPad 1 or iPod Touch 4th gen and below (pre-A5).
  • You must have SHSH blobs that also contains valid APTickets.
  • Your blobs must NOT be shared ones, as they are unique to each device.
  • If your device has a broken power and/or sleep button, follow this guide first
Common ways to check whether you have blobs include (but are not limited to) the following:
  • TinyUmbrella
  • RedSn0w
  • iFaith
Note that SHSH blobs can ONLY be saved during the signing period of the iOS, meaning when that particular iOS is the latest iOS available for the device. Again, you can read more about SHSH blobs and how to save them here.

With the introduction of iOS 7 and iTunes 11.1.X, iTunes is no longer custom IPSW friendly. So prior to starting, uninstall iTunes 11.1.X+ if you updated to it, remove any default local libraries and caches, and install iTunes 11.0.5 using the below direct links:

Mac OSX || Windows 32 || Windows 64

iPhone 3GS users going to 4.1: If you have an iPhone 3GS (particularly the new bootrom 3GS), and you want to downgrade to an older iOS for the purpose of flashing the iPad Baseband and downgrading it, you can restore to iOS 4.1 WITHOUT SHSH blobs saved for your device. Apple is still signing iOS 4.1 for the 3GS, making blobs unnecessary.

Method One: RedSn0w Only <Windows or Mac OSX>

Step 1: Download the appropriate iOS IPSW that matches your device that you want to downgrade to here. If you have the iPhone 4, make sure you know which band your iPhone is: GSM, World or CDMA.

Step 2: Download RedSn0w for your computer's OS.

Windows Download

Mac OSX Download

Step 3: Run RedSn0w as an administrator (if applicable)

118354.png

Step 4: Click on Extras
downgrade-ios-613-redsn0w.png

Step 5: Click on Even More

redsn0w-downgrade-ios-6.1.3.png

Step 6: Click on Restore

mx06kFB.png

Step 7: Select IPSW and point it to the iOS IPSW that you want to downgrade to, the one that you have valid blobs and APTickets for.

6.1.2-iPSW-Restore-6.1.3.png

Step 8: For your blobs, select
  • Local if your blobs are saved manually onto your computer
  • Remote if your blobs are saved and hosted onto Cydia (you can find out if they're on Cydia or not in the home page of Cydia, and scroll down to TSS Center)
8xAqeyG.png

Step 9: A window should automatically pop-up, if not, click Next and it will pop-up. For 3GS users, it will ask whether or not you want to preserve your device's baseband. If you're relying on UltraSn0w to unlock your device, it's best that you preserve the baseband. For new bootrom users on the iPad Baseband, it's a MUST.

Step 10: Put your device into DFU mode so that RedSn0w can put it into Pwned DFU, allowing RedSn0w to stitch an IPSW with the blobs and restore using that cached IPSW.

Step 11: If your device results in a Recovery Mode screen (Connect to iTunes) after the restore, open up RedSn0w again, go to Extras > Select IPSW. Select the IPSW that you just used in this process, and click on "Recovery Fix". Put your device into DFU mode once again, and let it kick your device out of Recovery Mode.

Method Two: iFaith + iTunes 11.0.5 (Windows-Only)

This method utilizes iFaith and iTunes. With the update of iTunes 11.1 with iOS 7, iTunes is no longer user-friendly when it comes to custom IPSW restoring. Meaning you have to downgrade your version of iTunes to a version of iTunes that is not 11.1, meaning 11.0.5.XXXX and below. Below are the links for iTunes 11.0.5 for Windows.

Windows 32 || Windows 64
To downgrade, first uninstall iTunes 11.1 as you would any other installed application, then delete any locally cached files, particularly the library cache. Backups and such should be kept.

Now grab a copy of iFaith v1.5.9 here.

Step 1- Connect your pre-A5 device and run iFaith as an administrator (if applicable), and click OK in the below screen.

iFaith1.png

Step 2-

a) If you DO NOT have SHSH blobs on your computer BUT they're on Cydia, you can select "Show Available SHSH on Server" then "Show list of all available SHSH blobs on TSS Server(s)", and either dump all blobs or select the ones that you're looking to use.

Choose a file location and the blobs will be saved there.

Now proceed to 2b below.

iFaith2.png

iFaith5.png

b) If you DO have SHSH blobs on your computer already, you can select "Build *signed* IPSW w/ Blobs"

Step 3) Click "Browse for SHSH blobs" and browse towards where you saved your blobs in step 2 or wherever your blobs are.

Note: This is a major checkpoint in the process. If your blobs do NOT have valid APTickets (for iOS 5.X and iOS 6.X downgrade/selective restoration), the process will halt here. If you're getting an issue here, then you cannot restore because your blobs either do not include APTickets or have bad APTickets.

iFaith6.png

Step 4) Now that iFaith recognizes your SHSH blobs, you'll need to direct it to an IPSW. The nice thing about iFaith is that if you do have have the IPSW, it will download and cache it locally for use. If you have an IPSW already, select the left option. If you do not have an IPSW downloaded already, select the right option. Downloads are all from Apple directly so it's no different from downloading it from our IPSW sticky posted above.

iFaith7.png

Step 5) iFaith will now verify that the IPSW will work with your IPSW and matches your blobs (if you browse to a pre-downloaded IPSW). Next, select "Build IPSW"

iFaith8.png

Step 6) Wait for the IPSW to build, this can take a while depending on computer specs. After completion, select OK and place your device into DFU mode. You can place it into DFU mode yourself, or, click "Start" to initiate DFU mode procedure instructions.

iReb will automatically start and place your device into Pwned DFU mode, which is mandatory for installing custom IPSWs.

Step 7) Now launch iTunes (if it doesn't launch automnatically since you turned off the auto-startup). Hold shift and click Restore. Browse the custom IPSW that you've just built and let iTunes do its thing.

Result: Device is downgraded. Restore your backup, set up as new device or restore from iCloud.

Method Three: RedSn0w + iTunes 11.0.5 (Windows or Mac OSX)

As iFaith is Windows-Only, for users that would like the old-fashion custom IPSW method of doing things, below are the steps to create a custom IPSW using RedSn0w.

Step One: Run RedSn0w as an administrator (if applicable)

Step 2: Click on Extras
118354.png

Step Three:Click on SHSH blobs

downgrade-ios-613-redsn0w.png

Step four: Select Stitch

Step+5.PNG

Step Five: Select the IPSW that you're looking to restore to, a.k.a. the iOS IPSW that you'll be providing blobs for.

1to531k.png

Step Six: Point RedSn0w to either the locally saved blobs or blobs on Cydia.

Step Seven: This is the make or break. If your SHSH blobs are not valid (or APTickets), you will receive this. Otherwise, a prompt will show up saying that your IPSW has been stitched successfully and has been saved locally at a given directory.

error.PNG

Step Eight: After the IPSW has been stitched successfully, open up RedSn0w > Extras > Pwned DFU mode. Place your device into DFU mode, and RedSn0w will proceed to place your device into Pwned DFU mode.

Step Nine: Open up iTunes 11.0.5 or below, and shift + click the Restore button, and point it to the customized IPSW that you just made. iTunes will now restore the device.

Note: If your device is in Recovery Mode after the restoration process, simply run RedSn0w > Extras > Recovery Fix, and follow the on-screen instructions and your device will be booted out of Recovery Mode.

-End-

Last edited:
$restore1.jpg$restore2.jpg

i am facing these error when i am downgrading my iphone4gsm from ios7 to ios6.1.2 please help

Are these complete blobs that you're using or fragmented blobs.

i don't know the difference between complete blobs and fragmented blobs

i do have blobs in my computer and cydia also

here redsnow contacting automatically contacting cydia server for blobs and start creating image after some process it is trying to reboot the phone while rebooting it got stuck at apple logo at that time i am getting this errors

Complete blobs means SHSH blobs as well as APTickets. Fragmented means only SHSH and either broken or no APTickets.

The method depends on which method of saving you used, either Cydia's autosave or using TinyUmbrella, iFaith, etc.

If you're on Windows, try to the iFaith method as it checks for whether your blobs are complete or not.

when i verify save blobs with redsnow i am getting this message

Attachments

• $restore3.jpg
    $restore3.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,357
Last edited:
RedSn0w's blob check works. APTickets checking doesnt

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

i am able to downgrade it to 5.1.1 but not 6.1.2 :(

That means the 6.1.2 blobs you're using are the auto saved ones from Cydia, which do not have complete APTickets

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Yes what u said is right those are saved by cydia only, as suggested i have checked the blobs with ifaith then it is also saying the same $restore4.jpg

$restore5.jpg ifaith saying 5.1.1,5.1.1b,6.1.3 are valid remaining apticket are looks not valid

5.1.1 is not supporting for latest google product versions like youtube gmail etc and also mythings app after JB call,sms,data counters apps i need to set them manually

But in 6.1.2 with JB i used to have all the above and working fine for me

Is there anyway to have 6.1.2 and JB on my mobile

Last edited:
Yes what u said is right those are saved by cydia only, as suggested i have checked the blobs with ifaith then it is also saying the same View attachment 13797

View attachment 13798 ifaith saying 5.1.1,5.1.1b,6.1.3 are valid remaining apticket are looks not valid

5.1.1 is not supporting for latest google product versions like youtube gmail etc and also mythings app after JB call,sms,data counters apps i need to set them manually

But in 6.1.2 with JB i used to have all the above and working fine for me

Is there anyway to have 6.1.2 and JB on my mobile

As said again and again, unless there are valid APTickets, you cannot restore selectively. There are no hacks, bypass, cheats, back doors, etc etc. it's an absolute no.

Sent via my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Willerz2, i have followed the instructions... i chosen ifaith method to downgrade my iphone 4 from 7.0.4 to 6.1.3... ifaith built IPSW but when i am restoring with the help of itunes ofcourse 11.0.5 64-bit it's giving this error can u please help me out in this$iphone error.JPG

By the way the link which was given by u for itunes is redirecting to 11.1 64-bit version not 11.0.5 64-bit

160X is usually a USB issue. Uninstall your USB drivers and reboot your computer and retry. Also, if you're using a monitor for your USB connection, a printer for your USB connection, or using the front of your computer for it, unplug it and use the rear chassis of your computer.

Links are fixed.

it's laptop... i have changed USB port and checked this time i am getting error 1601.... will check by changing USB data cable and let u know